FAQ
It is currently Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:16 am

Ridgerd22511
Post  Post subject: Volcanic quartz???  |  Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:38 pm

Is it possible for quartz to become shocked due to a mega volcanic explosion? Could this also cause magnetic disruption the earths magnetic field? Also in very fine volcanic ash I have found small square shaped metal with the luster of mickle or silver. Any ideas?

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: Volcanic quartz???  |  Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:52 pm

it's been said that massive volcanic eruptions could cause something vaguely looking like shocked quartz, in that it might contain a small number of shock lamellae - however, these are not in the same league as the intense lamellae structure caused by nuclear explosions or meteor impacts

the shock could locally affect the magnetic structure of any magnetic material, although it could not change the magnetic field of the earth as a whole, which depends on circulation of iron-nickel liquid in the outer core

as for inclusions in quartz, i would not exclude the possibility, although i'm not an expert in the field