FAQ
It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:08 pm

marnixR
Post  Post subject: oldest turtle ancestor  |  Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:40 pm

it's always gratifying to see your hunch confirmed - the following article about Pappochelys from the earliest Triassic has a skull which links it to lepidosaurs (i.e. lizards and tuataras) - thereby confirming my hunch that turtles are not derived from basal Anapsids but have closed their skull openings from a Diapsid condition

New turtle fossils shed new light on evolution of its shell

Moontanman
Post  Post subject: Re: oldest turtle ancestor  |  Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:25 am

marnixR wrote:
it's always gratifying to see your hunch confirmed - the following article about Pappochelys from the earliest Triassic has a skull which links it to lepidosaurs (i.e. lizards and tuataras) - thereby confirming my hunch that turtles are not derived from basal Anapsids but have closed their skull openings from a Diapsid condition

New turtle fossils shed new light on evolution of its shell

Interesting, I have seen the support for anapsid origin of turtles and thought it was rather strong... If they are not anapsid that would indicate that anapsid left no survivors wouldn't it?

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: oldest turtle ancestor  |  Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:33 am

that would indeed be the case

the trouble with groups based on the absence of a feature is that they may have reached this condition through totally different routes, and you would only be able to tell from other parts of the anatomy