FAQ
It is currently Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:23 pm


Author Message
Gnostic Bishop
Post  Post subject: Is it a sin to seek knowledge?  |  Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:30 pm
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:25 pm
Posts: 228

Offline
Is it a sin to seek knowledge?

Is it a sin to want to open one’s eyes instead of being blind?

Is it a sin to do as scriptures urge us to do?

Matthew 5:48 Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

Gen 3:2 And the Lord God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil:

Adam and Eve were doing exactly what we are all told by scriptures to do, yet God seemed quite upset.

Why is seeking knowledge and ignoring a vile command to remain in ignorant bliss wrong or a sin?

Are you sinning when you seek knowledge and becoming more like God?

Regards
DL


Top
Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: Is it a sin to seek knowledge?  |  Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:42 pm
User avatar
Original Member
Original Member

Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:30 pm
Posts: 962
Location: Somewhere in the Great State of Washington

Offline
Gnostic Bishop wrote:
Is it a sin to seek knowledge?

Is it a sin to want to open one’s eyes instead of being blind?

Is it a sin to do as scriptures urge us to do?

Matthew 5:48 Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

Gen 3:2 And the Lord God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil:

Adam and Eve were doing exactly what we are all told by scriptures to do, yet God seemed quite upset.

Why is seeking knowledge and ignoring a vile command to remain in ignorant bliss wrong or a sin?

Are you sinning when you seek knowledge and becoming more like God?

Regards
DL


What is your purpose in this?

_________________
"For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled." Hunter S Thompson
"It is easy to kill someone with a slash of a sword. It is hard to be impossible for others to cut down" - Yagyu Munenori


Top
iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Is it a sin to seek knowledge?  |  Posted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:31 am
User avatar
Original Member
Original Member

Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:40 pm
Posts: 5492
Location: Austin, Texas

Offline
Indeed. What he^ said.

_________________
iNow

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan


Top
Gnostic Bishop
Post  Post subject: Re: Is it a sin to seek knowledge?  |  Posted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:40 pm
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:25 pm
Posts: 228

Offline
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjxZ6Mr ... re=related

That clip speaks of a literalist scientist who can somehow ignore all of his scientific training and continue to suffer from what you see children suffer from in this other clip. Suffer may not be the right word if that condition is helpful to us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZFusjCRdyA

At one level, I can see how it would urge children to caution but when taken to literalist adults, it may be more of a harmful phobia.

I chose seeking knowledge as a theme because of the imaginary knowledge involved.

It seems that since you guys did not get this that I may not have put the O.P. the right way.

If the mod agrees then pulling it may be the thing to do.

Regards
DL


Top
iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Is it a sin to seek knowledge?  |  Posted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:27 pm
User avatar
Original Member
Original Member

Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:40 pm
Posts: 5492
Location: Austin, Texas

Offline
Please clarify your topic better than you have thus far. What point are you trying to make? What do you wish to discuss?

_________________
iNow

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan


Top
Gnostic Bishop
Post  Post subject: Re: Is it a sin to seek knowledge?  |  Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:25 am
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:25 pm
Posts: 228

Offline
iNow wrote:
Please clarify your topic better than you have thus far. What point are you trying to make? What do you wish to discuss?


As I said above, the psychology behind how a scientist who is used to using scientific methods of thought can allow himself to accept what is clearly a delusion.

I see that as ignoring logic, reason and a lot of knowledge to maintain his delusion.

If there are any literalist believers here then we might chat on the issue. If there are none here then I doubt that a non-believer will be able to add to the discussion.

Regards
DL


Top
iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Is it a sin to seek knowledge?  |  Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:56 pm
User avatar
Original Member
Original Member

Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:40 pm
Posts: 5492
Location: Austin, Texas

Offline
Compartmentalism and rationalization are well-known psychological phenomena and happen to essentially all of us, even those who are otherwise logical and rational.

More to the point, please convince me you've not created yet another thread merely to bash people who believe differently than you do.

_________________
iNow

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan


Top
Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: Is it a sin to seek knowledge?  |  Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:30 pm
User avatar
Original Member
Original Member

Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:30 pm
Posts: 962
Location: Somewhere in the Great State of Washington

Offline
Gnostic Bishop wrote:
As I said above, the psychology behind how a scientist who is used to using scientific methods of thought can allow himself to accept what is clearly a delusion.

I see that as ignoring logic, reason and a lot of knowledge to maintain his delusion.


As Inow stated above me, compartmentalism and rationalization happen to every person. Just because someone is a scientist doesn't make them immune from it.

Gnostic Bishop wrote:
If there are any literalist believers here then we might chat on the issue. If there are none here then I doubt that a non-believer will be able to add to the discussion.


This is a Science forum. As such you may find religious persons here, but you are not likely to find any fundamentalists or literalists. They don't tend to last long on this site or others like it. As much as I loathe creationists and those of similar belief, if your intent here is to just bash or attack them, then maybe you should leave? I think many will agree that such a thing is in bad taste. Now if you want to discuss the possible ramifications of allowing someone like that geologist to teach or whatever, then we can have that discussion.

_________________
"For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled." Hunter S Thompson
"It is easy to kill someone with a slash of a sword. It is hard to be impossible for others to cut down" - Yagyu Munenori


Top
Gnostic Bishop
Post  Post subject: Re: Is it a sin to seek knowledge?  |  Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:41 pm
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:25 pm
Posts: 228

Offline
iNow wrote:
Compartmentalism and rationalization are well-known psychological phenomena and happen to essentially all of us, even those who are otherwise logical and rational.

More to the point, please convince me you've not created yet another thread merely to bash people who believe differently than you do.


I have yet to find a believer here.

But for elsewhere, absolutely.

Regards
DL


Top
Gnostic Bishop
Post  Post subject: Re: Is it a sin to seek knowledge?  |  Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:47 pm
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:25 pm
Posts: 228

Offline
Falconer360 wrote:
Gnostic Bishop wrote:
As I said above, the psychology behind how a scientist who is used to using scientific methods of thought can allow himself to accept what is clearly a delusion.

I see that as ignoring logic, reason and a lot of knowledge to maintain his delusion.


As Inow stated above me, compartmentalism and rationalization happen to every person. Just because someone is a scientist doesn't make them immune from it.

Gnostic Bishop wrote:
If there are any literalist believers here then we might chat on the issue. If there are none here then I doubt that a non-believer will be able to add to the discussion.


This is a Science forum. As such you may find religious persons here, but you are not likely to find any fundamentalists or literalists. They don't tend to last long on this site or others like it. As much as I loathe creationists and those of similar belief, if your intent here is to just bash or attack them, then maybe you should leave? I think many will agree that such a thing is in bad taste. Now if you want to discuss the possible ramifications of allowing someone like that geologist to teach or whatever, then we can have that discussion.


That was not my agenda but we could if you want.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dtC052f9A4

I would have to stick to generalities on this though because I am a Canadian and am limited in what I know of your system.

We up here are not stupid enough to literally believe, --- in terms of what we allow in school that is.

Regards
DL


Top
iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Is it a sin to seek knowledge?  |  Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:16 am
User avatar
Original Member
Original Member

Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:40 pm
Posts: 5492
Location: Austin, Texas

Offline
Gnostic Bishop wrote:
I am a Canadian <snip> We up here are not stupid enough to literally believe...

You cannot possibly be so obtuse as to accept this as true, can you? Please tell me you're intentionally exaggerating and recognize the numerous counter examples to this remedially invalid generalization.

_________________
iNow

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan


Top
Gnostic Bishop
Post  Post subject: Re: Is it a sin to seek knowledge?  |  Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:52 pm
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:25 pm
Posts: 228

Offline
iNow wrote:
Gnostic Bishop wrote:
I am a Canadian <snip> We up here are not stupid enough to literally believe...

You cannot possibly be so obtuse as to accept this as true, can you? Please tell me you're intentionally exaggerating and recognize the numerous counter examples to this remedially invalid generalization.


Granted that my brush was too wide. I should have said, most of us up here.

It was not an intentional exaggeration but just the way I was thinking.

Regards
DL


Top
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Print view

Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
Jump to:   


Delete all board cookies | The team | All times are UTC


This free forum is proudly hosted by ProphpBB | phpBB software | Report Abuse | Privacy