FAQ
It is currently Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:36 am

marnixR
Post  Post subject: cuneiform in america ?  |  Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:43 pm

an interesting article on Carl's blog "A Hot Cup of Joe", entitled "Sumerians in Bolivia? Probably not."

unfortunately i picked up on this article when the comments already were closed, but since i've just finished reading Irving Finkel's "The ark before Noah", i've got some info still fresh in my head on cuneiform writing, and the one thing that stands out is that this type of writing was made by pressing a stylus into wet clay, which was then let to dry - at least that's what springs to mind

what i'd like to know is : is there any evidence that cuneiform writing was actually ever CARVED into stone, say on a palace wall, and if so, how does it compare with the carvings on the bowl, which to my untrained eye don't look very much like cuneiform

SkinWalker
Post  Post subject: Re: cuneiform in america ?  |  Posted: Wed May 13, 2015 3:11 am
Original Member
Original Member

Oh, yeah. Once they figured out the writing method, it shows up in all sorts of ways. But you're right that it was first developed by pressing a wedge-shaped stick into soft clay that was allowed to harden or fired.

The bas-reliefs at Persepolis is a good example:

So is this stone carving of Assyrian origin in the Pergamon Museum in Berlin.

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: cuneiform in america ?  |  Posted: Wed May 13, 2015 6:13 am

in essence, and to my untrained eye, the carvings in stone closely resemble the ones from clay tablets, and not very much like the one in the bowl on your blog

SkinWalker
Post  Post subject: Re: cuneiform in america ?  |  Posted: Fri May 15, 2015 8:26 pm
Original Member
Original Member

I really don't know enough about cuneiform to offer an expert opinion, but at first glance I think what we have is a case where a hoaxer is mimicking a real script. Someone allegedly "translated" the text in the bowl, but I put the word in scare quotes intentionally. If we take that prima facie, then there are some assumptions that follow. First, that the "translation" is genuine and two, that the person who created the bowl did so with a meaningful syntax and diction. Even if both assumptions are true, there is no good reason why this couldn't have been created shortly before it was discovered. Cuneiform was understood as a script as were the 2 or 3 underlying languages that it represented, so someone with knowledge could have written the passage.

In fact, it takes more effort to assume that the bowl was created by Sumerians 7000 years ago than a learned Bolivian in the early to mid 20th century. The latter is the more parsimonious explanation.