FAQ
It is currently Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:09 pm

Rory
Post  Post subject: Freeflow thread  |  Posted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:32 pm

A thread for discussion of anything and everything (within the Forum rules) - no need to split threads as the topic evolves.

Let's see how far the OP can become estranged from the final post in the thread - just through natural discussion.

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: Freeflow thread  |  Posted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:10 pm
Original Member
Original Member

This idea reminds me of how I go through wikipedia. I'll start with something like Dinokanaga http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dinokanaga and then two hours later I'm somehow on something like Nyx http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nyx

Robittybob1
Post  Post subject: Re: Freeflow thread  |  Posted: Sat May 28, 2016 5:40 am

Rory wrote:
A thread for discussion of anything and everything (within the Forum rules) - no need to split threads as the topic evolves.

Let's see how far the OP can become estranged from the final post in the thread - just through natural discussion.

What happened? I am wondering about my own self. I don't have the yearning for science as I used to have. Have others gone through dull patches?

astromark2014
Post  Post subject: Re: Freeflow thread  |  Posted: Sat May 28, 2016 8:38 pm

Location: On a hill near a park. The Whanganui National Park, New Zealand.

Then you need to seek medication.. I stop myself abruptly as It is your right to control your own quest. Where your mind goes is after all, yours.

But to cast aside enthusiasm of science I am finding hard.. It's the way forward. Casting aside anything that is not tested, challenged..

Mine would be the opposite view. If it can not find supportive science revue.. It's rubbish.

I will suggest your conditioning process has been found faulty.. education should ( must ) take you to a point where your own demands for truths of scientific finding out weigh any and all beliefs.. Am I being fair ?

Robittybob1
Post  Post subject: Re: Freeflow thread  |  Posted: Sat May 28, 2016 9:09 pm

astromark2014 wrote:
Then you need to seek medication.. I stop myself abruptly as It is your right to control your own quest. Where your mind goes is after all, yours.

But to cast aside enthusiasm of science I am finding hard.. It's the way forward. Casting aside anything that is not tested, challenged..

Mine would be the opposite view. If it can not find supportive science revue.. It's rubbish.

I will suggest your conditioning process has been found faulty.. education should ( must ) take you to a point where your own demands for truths of scientific finding out weigh any and all beliefs.. Am I being fair ?

Medication? What meds! There are not enough hours in the day to do all possible requests for learning and investigation, and you have to get this old brain to process it and remember some of it.
Every now and then I burn out a bit.

astromark2014
Post  Post subject: Re: Freeflow thread  |  Posted: Sun May 29, 2016 5:15 am

~ Dependant entirely Upon your frame of mind my medication involves a Red Wine, or when the weather is dowdy and wet a Port.
Just one drink or two gives the mind a opportunity to express itself without the sensible restraint of sobriety..

When the mood dictates and time and availability arise.. What would your choice be ?

Robittybob1
Post  Post subject: Re: Freeflow thread  |  Posted: Sun May 29, 2016 5:35 am

astromark2014 wrote:
~ Dependant entirely Upon your frame of mind my medication involves a Red Wine, or when the weather is dowdy and wet a Port.
Just one drink or two gives the mind a opportunity to express itself without the sensible restraint of sobriety..

When the mood dictates and time and availability arise.. What would your choice be ?

I used to drink but any alcohol now just aggravates my hiatus hernia so I am just tea and coffee. So that sounds terrible doesn't it? Maybe I should take a few more Losecs (omeprazole 40 mg) and treat the acidity.

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: Freeflow thread  |  Posted: Sun May 29, 2016 1:31 pm

Maybe you're doing Science wrong. I mean, maybe the way you're doing it isn't exciting. If you do the same thing over and over for long enough it becomes boring. I would say take a break and, when you do come back to it, do it in a way that is a genuine adventure.

Yes, I have been in that place too.

Snafuperman
Post  Post subject: Re: Freeflow thread  |  Posted: Sun May 29, 2016 1:55 pm

Rory wrote:
If you do the same thing over and over for long enough it becomes boring. I would say take a break and, when you do come back to it, do it in a way that is a genuine adventure.

Please elaborate. I go to the bathroom at least twice per day, day in and day out, for years now. It really has become boring. And how long should the break be? :mrgreen:

@Robittybob - try Tequila.

astromark2014
Post  Post subject: Re: Freeflow thread  |  Posted: Mon May 30, 2016 8:33 am

Robittybob1 wrote:
astromark2014 wrote:

Medication? What meds! There are not enough hours in the day to do all possible requests for learning and investigation, and you have to get this old brain to process it and remember some of it.
Every now and then I burn out a bit.

~ What about what else I said.. You can not sit on the fence while also stating you are not sure of the whole thing.. It's for you to enquire and learn. What did happen, what did not ?

I would hope that in a science forum one should find science.
Ask me questions or make a enquiry...

Robittybob1
Post  Post subject: Re: Freeflow thread  |  Posted: Mon May 30, 2016 7:22 pm

My ups and downs are temporary things. It is all dependent on the workload ( beating off the feeling of being overwhelmed). It has been rather difficult fitting in here, but it has settled and I'm coming right again.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Freeflow thread  |  Posted: Mon May 30, 2016 11:40 pm
Original Member
Original Member

There's a lot of unfortunate innuendo in that short post of yours.

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

Robittybob1
Post  Post subject: Re: Freeflow thread  |  Posted: Tue May 31, 2016 12:34 am

iNow wrote:
There's a lot of unfortunate innuendo in that short post of yours.

That's true. I feel I'm crying deep within myself, I feel beaten so I can't tackle big projects ATM. Yet I did read the article on supplements, but I had to really force myself, otherwise I find I'm rushing from one topic to the other. Which is good for interest but I don't know if it so good for my head (In fact it is not so much my head but the whole of my body). A moderator would have to do something similar, if/when you attempt to read every post.
I usually put a lot of emotional effort into getting to the bottom of things. Maybe I should just let myself cry properly. But I can't, even if I try.

I saw you having a row with someone the other day (another forum) so you might even know how this feels. The words on the screen don't affect your head as much as your "heart".

astromark2014
Post  Post subject: Re: Freeflow thread  |  Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:11 am

Having now read of your issues, I will back away from being confrontational with you about the things you said and think..

'They are yours',~ and it's fine. I will offer my OPINION.. and this is all it ever is. Do not dwell on what is not yours to fix.
~ some times it's best just to let those who choose what I see as the wrong path. Stumble and fall.
In getting back up often a clear view of whatever is at issue arises.

Both of the subjects I have followed; Vitamin supplements to the diet and the Apollo program and missions.
Have a common factor. That you need to have a good sound base of information. You tube is NOT it.
Not the discovery network or the geographic channel. Pier tested scientific revue is essential.

It looks from what you have said that issues become bigger than they should for you. I do not want to be argumentative or challenging to you, but you do need to research better science before judging us all wrong.

A well rounded diet of vegetables and fruits. Nutrients and proteins fibre and solids as the body requires..
and that NASA landed twelve people on the moon. No argument: Only truth. No ifs, no buts.

Robittybob1
Post  Post subject: Re: Freeflow thread  |  Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:48 pm

I hope I can regain my confidence.

Lynx_Fox
Post  Post subject: Re: Freeflow thread  |  Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:12 pm

Had a Power Company visit our fire department last evening to brief their emergency action plan in case of problems with any of their 3 local dams. It's normally the type of meeting one might expect to become a snooze fest, but I was pleasantly surprised the Host to not only discuss their plan, but discuss the current science of a recently discovered fault line that passes under the main dam, the types of models used for inundation predictions, as well as the practical side of all this translates into actions and decisions for first responders (such as myself) trying to decide how best to notify and potential save the several hundred residents in the direct path without killing ourselves in the process. Came back from meeting with a couple references to the local fault, to some pleasant and informative reading: http://earthweb.ess.washington.edu/bshe ... _03_08.pdf

astromark2014
Post  Post subject: Re: Freeflow thread  |  Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:28 pm

Recently I was invited to a ' Neighbour hood watch' meeting. ( It's a get to know where you live ) for crime prevention and emergency responses.

The speaker was talking of tsunami risks along our coast and the use of the sirens for tsunami warnings.. That ocean surges are at issue.
He mentioned 'strong near the coast earthquakes' and some fool up the front wants to know why the alarms are not sounded before a earthquake ?

Umm.. Do some people not have a thought process available.. Interested to know what and how you warn or evacuate before the event..
Is this a gen pool issue ? ( Please do not let him breed.) I thought.

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: Freeflow thread  |  Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:34 pm

Robittybob1 wrote:

what's preventing you ?

Robittybob1
Post  Post subject: Re: Freeflow thread  |  Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:20 pm

marnixR wrote:
Robittybob1 wrote:

what's preventing you ?

I have had a couple of months of being put down, but I'm finally having a bit of success. I had been trying to find the orbit of a satellite where the gravitational time dilation equals the velocity time dilation so they cancel. A similar thread has started on another forum and problem has been solved. I know I need to learn a lot more maths. That is going to take a while but in general it makes me feel good discovering maths, but as usual I'm procrastinating.

astromark2014
Post  Post subject: Re: Freeflow thread  |  Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:48 am

Procrastinating gets you nowhere... :) and I know this because I am guilty of it. Expert class, PhD Procrastinator..
I can make excuses for myself like; careful planning is required.. and budgeting needs to be evaluated.. but putting things off is a art..
Attached to the end of our town house is a single garage. and car port.. The roof is almost flat..My intention is to take the roof off and add a new roof at the angle of the adjacent house.. Not only will it look great it will create a roof space for storage of much of what clutters my shed. A roll off section of the new roof will hide a home observatory.. Lots of planing.. thinking.. drawings.. all good fun.. Not a single nail has been pulled yet.. Next summer...Yes. :) :)

Dig deep robertybob.. find that happy mindset.. give yourself credit for good things and put away that which does not make you happy.
When a down sets it's sites on me.. I climb out of the hole with thoughts of others plight. There's always others worse off than me...

Robittybob1
Post  Post subject: Re: Freeflow thread  |  Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:56 am

astromark2014 wrote:
When a down sets it's sites on me.. I climb out of the hole with thoughts of others plight. There's always others worse off than me...

I've never tried that. I wonder if it is in my nature.

Olinguito
Post  Post subject: Re: Freeflow thread  |  Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:35 pm

Quote:
Freeflow thread

A non-Newtonian fluid does not undergo free flow when under stress. An example on such a fluid is custard. You can actually walk on custard!

Non-Newtonian fluids are a favourite topic on the BBC programme QI.

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: Freeflow thread  |  Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:01 pm

Don't talk to me about Newton, I've fallen out with him.