FAQ
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:08 pm

Rory
Post  Post subject: Easter  |  Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:49 am

Easter, like all other Christian public holidays in the UK, illustrates the lack of bona fide respect for diversity of religious opinion. Whatever religious crede you happen to be as a 21st Century Briton; whether Christian, Muslim, Jewish, Hindu, Pagan, Buddhist, Agnostic, Atheist, Other - it doesn't matter in the eyes of the state. It doesn't matter that Christianity leaves you cold nor that the religion has zero relevance for tthe majority of today's Britons - you will be held ransom by Christianity and its closing down of vital public services including transport and foodstores. This for 4 days, over half a week, because the powers that be refuse to move with the times.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Easter  |  Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:24 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Most private companies like food stores close down by choice on holidays like this, not by government mandate. Are you saying bus lines and other state run municipal services are also shuttered for 4 days? That would surprise me very much, but I guess I'm not that familiar with your system over there.

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: Easter  |  Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:48 pm

No the services do not shut down completely - they run as a reduced service which for public transport usually means Sunday service hours. Some shops also remain open but it means doing your homework beforehand. In essence daily tasks become more time-consuming and less convenient.

Religious correspondent Caroline Wyatt of the BBC wrote this rather uninspired article on the religious versus commercial importance of Easter, which pretty well anybody could have written, but I digress:

http://bbc.co.uk/news/uk-32160786

One of her concluding remarks was that the British population still seek an answer to the question of life meaning, as previously supplied readymade by Christianity.

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: Easter  |  Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:53 pm

I don't understand how anybody (excepting children and the mentally impaired) could fail to realise that we are responsible for engineering our own life meaning. That's what is difficult about life: external forces try and try to erode away at your own carefully engineered life meaning - you must rebuild it constantly. Neglect to own your own destiny and you will find that you have been living arbitrarily to the life manual of another, or drifting pointlessly under external forces.

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: Easter  |  Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:04 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Rory wrote:
I don't understand how anybody (excepting children and the mentally impaired) could fail to realise that we are responsible for engineering our own life meaning. That's what is difficult about life: external forces try and try to erode away at your own carefully engineered life meaning - you must rebuild it constantly. Neglect to own your own destiny and you will find that you have been living arbitrarily to the life manual of another, or drifting pointlessly under external forces.

This will sound conceited, but it's easy for intelligent people like us to see that. More average people rely more on feelings and as such, many feel that there should be a greater purpose for life. It gives them comfort to believe that everything they do is part of some divinely inspired master plan, so they choose to believe God(s) have a purpose and plan for them. It also serves as a coping mechanism for them to deal with the bad things in their lives. There are of course others that are depressed and cannot find a purpose in life and think that there is no purpose. These people are blinded by their depression and cannot see that we create our own meaning and purpose. Figuring out that we engineer our own life meaning helped me combat my depression actually.

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: Easter  |  Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:07 pm

Glad that you're feeling better. Life meaning is one of those rare areas in which I think it helps to have experienced some degree of adversity. The more privileged you are, the greater the ease with which you can acquire objects and fulfil objectives, the less value those possessions or accomplishments will hold for you subjectively.

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: Easter  |  Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:47 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Rory wrote:
Glad that you're feeling better. Life meaning is one of those rare areas in which I think it helps to have experienced some degree of adversity. The more privileged you are, the greater the ease with which you can acquire objects and fulfil objectives, the less value those possessions or accomplishments will hold for you subjectively.

I agree with this. Personally, I'm glad I've had to deal with so much shit in my life. It made me tougher, stronger, and it makes me appreciate the good things more. The darker and harder your life has been, the more brightly brief moments of happiness shine.