FAQ
It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:32 pm

marnixR
Post  Post subject: isis and archeology  |  Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:38 pm

seeing articles like this one, i really have to ask why ? i can see why certain types of people might want to cower people into submission through brutality and atrocities, and consider anyone deviating from the true version of faith as less than human

but going to great lengths to demolish ancient relics ? i just can't fathom what type of reasoning or mentality leads to this type of wanton destruction

Isis launches assault on third archaeological site in three days in bid to destroy centuries of human knowledge

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: isis and archeology  |  Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:35 pm

Perhaps they regard anything referring to or glorifying thought beyond the immediate regime of ISIS to be at best superfluous and at worst a direct challenge to the intellectual 'supremacy' of their agenda?

I still can't see what the Islamic State utopia is supposed to look like. Even if ISIS forcibly convert and/or kill all Westerners and Western sympathisers, then what? So they will have possession of a nation or world composed purely of ISIS 'brothers' and their associated women and children... but there will be no more women to kidnap or rape, no foreign men to slaughter, coerce or enslave. Probably they would end up forming a hierarchical society and eventually progress to political dispute, infighting and eventually collapse of the state.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: isis and archeology  |  Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:17 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Clearly, the others were false idols and their all powerful Allah is a bit insecure about such things.

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: isis and archeology  |  Posted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:23 am

Rory wrote:
I still can't see what the Islamic State utopia is supposed to look like. Even if ISIS forcibly convert and/or kill all Westerners and Western sympathisers, then what?

oh, i can see where this would lead to : like any religion or pseudo-religion (like marxism) cracks would soon appear on what to us seem like small and irrelevant differences in doctrine, so they would start fighting the enemy within

or they could go the way of the Khmer Rouge : when their unworkable view of Cambodian life led to hunger and death, it clearly wasn't THEIR fault, was it ? hence traitors and outside agents had to be identified to shift the blame

SkinWalker
Post  Post subject: Re: isis and archeology  |  Posted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:47 am
Original Member
Original Member

I think there are three factors that contribute to the destruction of antiquities in places like Syria and Iraq by ISIS:

1) within Islam, shirk is strictly forbidden and an unforgivable crime.
2) ISIS wants attention
3) most of what they destroyed are too big to sell (selling antiquities has been a lucrative source of income for ISIS and other terrorist organizations -and drug / arms dealers for that matter).

I think that there are those within the leadership that would prefer to sell these antiquities, but where the market isn't conducive or the artifact too large to smuggle, the other option is to destroy it. Doing so publicly gains attention and many of atrocious acts they've committed have been done with camera crews on hand -some of the executions even had multiple angles and a scripted feel. Clearly there are PR people working close with ISIS. The grunts and soldiers -not the decision makers- are completely sold on the idea of shirk, which is essentially idolatry. Their desire to correct an unforgivable sin far outweighs their sense of reason or consideration of the human past. These are people who live not for the present, rather a perceived future in a desired afterlife. The past is completely irrelevant to them.

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: isis and archeology  |  Posted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:59 pm
Original Member
Original Member

SkinWalker wrote:
I think that there are those within the leadership that would prefer to sell these antiquities, but where the market isn't conducive or the artifact too large to smuggle, the other option is to destroy it. Doing so publicly gains attention and many of atrocious acts they've committed have been done with camera crews on hand -some of the executions even had multiple angles and a scripted feel. Clearly there are PR people working close with ISIS. The grunts and soldiers -not the decision makers- are completely sold on the idea of shirk, which is essentially idolatry. Their desire to correct an unforgivable sin far outweighs their sense of reason or consideration of the human past. These are people who live not for the present, rather a perceived future in a desired afterlife. The past is completely irrelevant to them.

I think you hit it on the head. Everything they do seems to be done simply to gain as much attention as possible. They want all eyes on them. At least from the perspective of the higher ups, as you said the grunts are just sold on religious fanaticism. In any case the destruction of antiquities is an abominable action. Selling them on the black market is terrible too, but at least it has the chance of resurfacing someday if it's sold and not destroyed.

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: isis and archeology  |  Posted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:32 pm

^I wish somebody would hit ISIS on the head :lol:

Frankly any aversion to idolatry is rich coming from ISIS - a group that peddle an allegiance with Islam, a religion built on idolatry of Allah.

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: isis and archeology  |  Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:15 am

don't forget the prophet Mohammed - as far as i'm aware islam is the only religion where even a respectful depiction of a prophet can land you in hot water