FAQ
It is currently Mon May 29, 2017 3:09 pm

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Facebook "this is your 2014"  |  Posted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:36 pm

don't know if other people on fb had the option of compiling their year in pictures, but i declined - somehow it all seemed so disjointed and very unlike what really mattered in my life during the year, things that i wouldn't post on my timeline, and hence wouldn't appear in my year in pictures

in fact i fully understand the following article in the Independent : Facebook’s newest feature has brought the internet down on its head

i suppose the message is : don't let an algorithm tell you what's important in your life

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: Facebook "this is your 2014"  |  Posted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:32 pm

I did it out of curiosity to see what the end product would look like. (Although I doubt that the reviews are viewed by online contacts - who has the time to trawl through their friends' years in review?). Turns out they just string together a few photos posted during that year on your timeline. However it fails to discriminate the time when those photos were taken so you could have photos depicting an event in 2010 popping up inappropriately in your 2014 year review. I suppose that's about as much as can be expected from an algorithm - it cannot be expected to be capable of inferring undisclosed judgments of relevance. Since most people do not post those events that are unpleasant - the ones that induce shame, sadness, guilt, anger, regret, frustration, disappointment - the year in review on social networking sites has the same effect as day-to-day activities on the site, namely to push a certain narrative, a certain artificial portrait. The mask.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Facebook "this is your 2014"  |  Posted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:23 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Obviously, if you don't post it the algorithm can't include it, but as for relevance you should actually IMO direct your ire at your friends and social network, as it's their likes and views which are used to select the items included. The feature shows what others saw as important in your year, and also has an edit function to change what is and what is not presented within should you happen to disagree.

Seems to me you're just being curmudgeonly, Marnix! :D

I really liked mine because it made abundantly clear just how significantly my daughter grew and changed this year (from ~5 months old to ~17 months old). It was like watching a time lapse and I loved it!

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: Facebook "this is your 2014"  |  Posted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:15 pm

Quote:
iNow wrote:
I really liked mine because it made abundantly clear just how significantly my daughter grew and changed this year (from ~5 months old to ~17 months old). It was like watching a time lapse and I loved it!

You could take a photograph of her every day and then play them in sequence.

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: Facebook "this is your 2014"  |  Posted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:37 pm

Rory wrote:
Since most people do not post those events that are unpleasant ...

indeed, you didn't see any pictures of my wife's detached retina, how my car went off the hand brake and crashed into the garage door, or how my son had his jaw broken in 3 places when he got punched - it's just not the type of thing you want to share except with the closest of family and friends, and those don't need to hear it through facebook

iNow wrote:
Seems to me you're just being curmudgeonly, Marnix!

i don't post because i want people to like my posts, they're more like brain farts + purely by accident some people like the smell of some of them

come to think of it, that DOES fit the definition of curmudgeonly, doesn't it ?

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Facebook "this is your 2014"  |  Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:43 am
Original Member
Original Member

Lol...

Good point about keeping the more emotionally difficult events and various tragedies a bit more private, btw. While I use Facebook to stay in contact with old friends and family with whom I rarely speak and to share what's happening with my daughter, like you I also tend only to share certain more personal and difficult events with certain people, usually those with whom I'm close, and not via FB.

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: Facebook "this is your 2014"  |  Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:27 am

So what is the point of "your year in review"? "Your" refers to that which belongs to you, and if the conent used to make "your" year in review is not reflective of reality, or comprehensive, then it cannot really be claimed to accurately represent "your year in review". At the very least it should be changed to "your artificial portrait's year in review".

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Facebook "this is your 2014"  |  Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:08 pm
Original Member
Original Member

It's a look back. It's a top 10 of 2014 list, just for ourselves and specific to one social platform.

It's clearly just a bit of functionality to bring a quick simple smile to the faces of many and to raise the grumpiness level of others like you and our friend Marnix in parallel.

More objectively, it's a large corporation trying to retain and attract users and increase access frequency and drive more clicks by offering new methods of engagement and updated functions via the interface so they can continue raking in massive amounts of money.

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: Facebook "this is your 2014"  |  Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:01 pm

it's strange though, their previous attempt, giving a quick summary video of your time @ fb was far better received - then again it was maybe trying to be less specific

still, if like me you found the 2014 selection not to your liking you can always decline showing the proposed selection - that's what i did
even better, but that would have required some effort on my part (and i don't think i'll make that effort), is to gather pictures from my own on-line or off-line albums and produce my own, more personal and appropriate, selection

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: Facebook "this is your 2014"  |  Posted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:26 pm

I suppose in general people don't want to be reminded of negative events, or to share them with any but the closest of connections, and as such it would not be a good business strategy for fb. But if you want to know someone, the negatives are as important as the positives.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Facebook "this is your 2014"  |  Posted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:54 am
Original Member
Original Member

Rory wrote:
I suppose in general people don't want to be reminded of negative events, or to share them with any but the closest of connections, and as such it would not be a good business strategy for fb. But if you want to know someone, the negatives are as important as the positives.

Amen to that!

One thing I've realized over time is that FB has given my friends much more texture and depth in my mind. I have a much clearer window into their personality and preferences and habits. I know what they're passionate about, how they spend their weekends, what information sources they trust and prefer, etc.

I like that. It's helped me become closer with some where previously there was only a topical relationship and to distance myself from those who do and/or say things I find abhorrent, but may never previously have been aware of.

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: Facebook "this is your 2014"  |  Posted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:17 pm
Original Member
Original Member

iNow wrote:
One thing I've realized over time is that FB has given my friends much more texture and depth in my mind. I have a much clearer window into their personality and preferences and habits. I know what they're passionate about, how they spend their weekends, what information sources they trust and prefer, etc.

I like that. It's helped me become closer with some where previously there was only a topical relationship and to distance myself from those who do and/or say things I find abhorrent, but may never previously have been aware of.

That is probably the most useful thing FB has done for me. Over the years of being on there I have deleted and distanced myself from many people that I was once closer to. This is because on FB I was able to see the uglier side of them through racist, sexist, intolerant, or ignorant posts. I'm thankful for my TSF friends on there because it has helped add depth to what were once just usernames. Also I'm able to interact with TSF members that are no longer active here or at the .com site.