FAQ
It is currently Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:41 pm

Gnostic Bishop
Post  Post subject: Should all schools be mandated to teach Creationism?  |  Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:16 pm

Billion + believe in Satan. Should all schools be mandated to teach Creationism?

We must save our children from foolish belief in the supernatural.

Education is the only tool that we have to drag ourselves and our children out of ignorance and superstition and that education should include that it is foolish to read myth literally. No more Dark Ages should be allowed.

Comparative Religion should be taught to insure that no child is lost to creationist intellectual dissonance. We must expose our children to Comparative Religion as soon as they can understand Evolution which would be taught alongside of it.

To do less would be shirking our duty to our children and their young minds. If you do not supports this type of all-inclusive education, please show why you oppose it?

Remember that when President Bush backed up stem cell research, it gave other countries a chance to advance away from the U.S. and hurt the U.S economy.

If the U.S. fails to educate it’s children properly in Comparative Religion and Evolution --- and the various sciences that stem from it, --- the U.S. will shrink it’s economy and power as compared to those countries who have a fuller and more intelligent education program.

Do you agree that it is the duty of the U.S. education system to maintain a first world standard of education in the teaching of Creationism, Comparative Religion and Evolution, --- and catch up to more intelligent countries?

Regards
DL

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: Should all schools be mandated to teach Creationism?  |  Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:23 pm

In general I would agree with you - facilitating the reasoning abilities of children and their philosophical abilities is more important than providing any prescriptive narrative, be it scientific or religious.

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: Should all schools be mandated to teach Creationism?  |  Posted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:30 am

do you really see that happening, Comparative Religion ? at least if done properly you'd have to come to the conclusion that not all of them can be right and chances are that none of them are

unless you go for "appreciation of other religions" that goes for Religious Education in the UK, in which a very panglossian view is taken and atrocities past and present where people are killed and tortured "because they're not of our belief" are conveniently overlooked

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: Should all schools be mandated to teach Creationism?  |  Posted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:46 am

Reminds me of a really sweet RE teacher I once had (he was also a priest) who after one lesson was trying to encourage myself and a friend to take note of actions not merely preached messages. I didn't appreciate his point at the time and frankly wanted to go to break. In hindsight he was right.

Gnostic Bishop
Post  Post subject: Re: Should all schools be mandated to teach Creationism?  |  Posted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:27 pm

Rory wrote:
In general I would agree with you - facilitating the reasoning abilities of children and their philosophical abilities is more important than providing any prescriptive narrative, be it scientific or religious.

Sweet. Thanks.

Regards
DL

Gnostic Bishop
Post  Post subject: Re: Should all schools be mandated to teach Creationism?  |  Posted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:32 pm

marnixR wrote:
do you really see that happening, Comparative Religion ? at least if done properly you'd have to come to the conclusion that not all of them can be right and chances are that none of them are

unless you go for "appreciation of other religions" that goes for Religious Education in the UK, in which a very panglossian view is taken and atrocities past and present where people are killed and tortured "because they're not of our belief" are conveniently overlooked

Possibly because they do not teach of the cause of the Dark Ages and Inquisition or the Holy Wars and Crusades from which IS get their methods.

In a more open school religious environment, the atrocities from all religions, past and present would not be overlooked.

The secular adult world is better educated in religion than the religious world and that indicates a secular interest in religious studies. If secular parents want to know and teach themselves religious studies, it follows that they would not mind starting their secular interest in religion earlier for their children. They would vote for a more intelligent level of religious education. It would improve on what is being taught to religious children today.

It is also the duty of the secular world to insure that it's future members are not as deluded by superstitious belief as their parents. The tipping point of belief is fast approaching and duty says that we should facilitate change.

Is a good knowledge base a good defence against superstition?
Yes it is.

Regards
DL

Gnostic Bishop
Post  Post subject: Re: Should all schools be mandated to teach Creationism?  |  Posted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:37 pm

Rory wrote:
Reminds me of a really sweet RE teacher I once had (he was also a priest) who after one lesson was trying to encourage myself and a friend to take note of actions not merely preached messages. I didn't appreciate his point at the time and frankly wanted to go to break. In hindsight he was right.

The more one studies religions the less respect one is likely to hold for them. That was my experience and I was going to chuck it all but my apotheosis ended that.

Now Gnostic Christianity has me and won't let go.

Regards
DL

kojax
Post  Post subject: Re: Should all schools be mandated to teach Creationism?  |  Posted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:04 am
Original Member
Original Member

Maybe we should strike a compromise with the creationists? Creationism may be taught in school, but only if EVERY VERSION of the creation story is taught.

Not just the Christian/Muslim/Judaism version. All the versions. The children would learn all the various creation stories from every religion on Earth that ever was, and all those which presently exist.

Some might call that a "comparative religion" course.

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: Should all schools be mandated to teach Creationism?  |  Posted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:17 pm

Gnostic Bishop,

What is Gnostic Christianity, in your conception?

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Should all schools be mandated to teach Creationism?  |  Posted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:56 am
Original Member
Original Member

kojax wrote:
Maybe we should strike a compromise with the creationists? Creationism may be taught in school, but only if EVERY VERSION of the creation story is taught.

Not just the Christian/Muslim/Judaism version. All the versions. The children would learn all the various creation stories from every religion on Earth that ever was, and all those which presently exist.

I like the idea, but suspect the types of people who so often run for and win seats on the local education councils and boards would not be such huge fans if their personally preferred flavor of myth were included.

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

billvon
Post  Post subject: Re: Should all schools be mandated to teach Creationism?  |  Posted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:07 pm

kojax wrote:

Not even all of them; just the top ten, say. Compare Norse and Egyptian creation stories to the Christian one, for example.

scoobydoo1
Post  Post subject: Re: Should all schools be mandated to teach Creationism?  |  Posted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:54 am

Gnostic Bishop wrote:
Should all schools be mandated to teach Creationism?

Educational syllabi are considered and included to serve a purpose and function for the students taking them. To answer the question you have posed requires us to understand what purpose and function the teaching of creationism serves and has. The subject may serve a purpose in comparative religions by highlighting a chapter in our history where certain religious movements had attempted to insert their religious narrative into the public school system by way of political maneuvering to circumvent and violate the populace's constitutional rights.

Other than it being a chapter in comparative religion courses in higher education, I personally do not see it as having much of any value in a educational school system's syllabi. Does anyone else think differently?

Gnostic Bishop
Post  Post subject: Re: Should all schools be mandated to teach Creationism?  |  Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:55 pm

kojax wrote:

No argument. If taught in the arctic then the snow God likely has a creation myth. I think global and not local so all the Gods and their creation methods and myths should be looked at.

In that way, kids will not lock onto any one set of supernatural entities and that is the goal. That is tolerance

Regards
DL

Gnostic Bishop
Post  Post subject: Re: Should all schools be mandated to teach Creationism?  |  Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:58 pm

Rory wrote:
Gnostic Bishop,

What is Gnostic Christianity, in your conception?

A religion that honors man more than an absentee God and that accepts that we are all in this together, alone.

It recognizes that the only God fit to rule man is a man.

Think Divine Council.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oR02cia ... =PLCBF574D

The thinking shown below is the Gnostic Christian’s goal as taught by Jesus but know that any belief can be internalized to activate your higher mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alRNbes ... r_embedded

This method and mind set is how you become I am and brethren to Jesus, in the esoteric sense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdSVl_HOo8Y

When you can name your God, I am, and mean yourself, you will begin to know the only God you will ever find. Becoming a God is to become more fully human.

Regards
DL

Gnostic Bishop
Post  Post subject: Re: Should all schools be mandated to teach Creationism?  |  Posted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:04 pm

scoobydoo1 wrote:
Gnostic Bishop wrote:
Should all schools be mandated to teach Creationism?

Educational syllabi are considered and included to serve a purpose and function for the students taking them. To answer the question you have posed requires us to understand what purpose and function the teaching of creationism serves and has. The subject may serve a purpose in comparative religions by highlighting a chapter in our history where certain religious movements had attempted to insert their religious narrative into the public school system by way of political maneuvering to circumvent and violate the populace's constitutional rights.

Other than it being a chapter in comparative religion courses in higher education, I personally do not see it as having much of any value in a educational school system's syllabi. Does anyone else think differently?

I think that the younger the child learns that there is no supernatural entity waiting to send him to hell for just being born as he is, the better it will be for him.

The sooner his parents are forced to assuage the false fears they have put in him the better. Reality is as good for adults as children. We may not be able to help the parents but the children and their education is in the states hands, not the parents as is clearly shown with I.D. being kicked out of schools.

Regards
DL

scoobydoo1
Post  Post subject: Re: Should all schools be mandated to teach Creationism?  |  Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:20 am

Gnostic Bishop wrote:

We may not be able to help the parents but the children and their education is in the states hands, not the parents as is clearly shown with I.D. being kicked out of schools.

I thought the topic was on the subject of creationism in public schools, and not the private value systems parents instill in their young. There are lines wherein a state aren't allowed to cross as protected by other constitutional freedoms. The question here is whether "creationism" ought to be implemented into the educational syllabi of nation wide public system systems, and not what kind of fairy tales parents are allowed to introduce to their offspring in their private lives.

The value of creationism as a chapter in comparative religion courses, science related history classes, and perhaps even classes introducing constitutional rights; is present. We aren't touching on the private belief systems that the state hasn't been granted the right to interfere in, as to do so, is also a violation by the state of certain individual personal freedoms granted by their constitution.

Gnostic Bishop
Post  Post subject: Re: Should all schools be mandated to teach Creationism?  |  Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:38 pm

scoobydoo1 wrote:
Gnostic Bishop wrote:

We may not be able to help the parents but the children and their education is in the states hands, not the parents as is clearly shown with I.D. being kicked out of schools.

I thought the topic was on the subject of creationism in public schools, and not the private value systems parents instill in their young. There are lines wherein a state aren't allowed to cross as protected by other constitutional freedoms. The question here is whether "creationism" ought to be implemented into the educational syllabi of nation wide public system systems, and not what kind of fairy tales parents are allowed to introduce to their offspring in their private lives.

The value of creationism as a chapter in comparative religion courses, science related history classes, and perhaps even classes introducing constitutional rights; is present. We aren't touching on the private belief systems that the state hasn't been granted the right to interfere in, as to do so, is also a violation by the state of certain individual personal freedoms granted by their constitution.

There are a number of issues that revolve around what the state chooses to have taught to children.

They showed the limits of what stupid parents might choose for their kids to learn when the kicked out I.D.

But yes. The main issue of this O.P. is as you state.

I really don't get how 40% of people can think this ...:confused:

http://www.livescience.com/46123-many-a ... nists.html

Four in 10 Americans believe God created the Earth and anatomically modern[IMG] humans, less than 10,000 years ago, according to a new Gallup poll.

About half of Americans believe humans evolved over millions of years, with most of those people saying that God guided the process. Religious, less educated[IMG], and older respondents were likelier to espouse a young Earth creationist view — that life was created some 6,000 to 10,000 years ago — according to the poll.

Regards
DL

scoobydoo1
Post  Post subject: Re: Should all schools be mandated to teach Creationism?  |  Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:54 pm

Gnostic Bishop wrote:
I really don't get how 40% of people can think this ...

Then I would suggest that you read up on how worldviews are constructed.

Deeply seeded and held beliefs that are foundations for worldviews are rather resistant to contrary information. The same can be said for political ideologies. When such personal beliefs are appealing or comforting to the individual and/or collective, there is usually very little incentive for them to break away from it. Having a worldview that is resistant to change provides stability which in turn confers a sense of safety that the mind craves. While the individual personality may not be perceptive enough to be aware of this, it does not hinder the persons ability to pass on its genes to the next generation before he/she expires.

Propagating their worldviews is a means of ensuring that the individual and/or the collective is/will able to continue doing what they have been doing, so long as it isn't demonstrated to be a hindrance in the long run.

Gnostic Bishop
Post  Post subject: Re: Should all schools be mandated to teach Creationism?  |  Posted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:15 pm

scoobydoo1 wrote:
Gnostic Bishop wrote:
I really don't get how 40% of people can think this ...

Then I would suggest that you read up on how worldviews are constructed.

Deeply seeded and held beliefs that are foundations for worldviews are rather resistant to contrary information. The same can be said for political ideologies. When such personal beliefs are appealing or comforting to the individual and/or collective, there is usually very little incentive for them to break away from it. Having a worldview that is resistant to change provides stability which in turn confers a sense of safety that the mind craves. While the individual personality may not be perceptive enough to be aware of this, it does not hinder the persons ability to pass on its genes to the next generation before he/she expires.

Propagating their worldviews is a means of ensuring that the individual and/or the collective is/will able to continue doing what they have been doing, so long as it isn't demonstrated to be a hindrance in the long run.

No argument as I agree that there are a lot of sheep as compared to the innovators who they would call goats.

Regards
DL