FAQ
It is currently Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:50 am

Rory
Post  Post subject: TBBT  |  Posted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:22 am

Not Science Fiction but Fiction that focuses on Science - does anybody else watch The Big Bang Theory? I think the producers have developed Penny's character at a pace that is too accelerated to be credible. In the space of one episode she went from being a fun-loving, care-free, long-haired friend to an uber-responsible, straight-laced, short-haired career woman. The other characters have matured gradually and, with marriage and children on the horizon, the show will probably wind up soon. Why do so many sitcoms follow the same predictable paradigm of having the formation of a friendship group until the eventual dispersion when the characters set up home as married couples? It's basically Friends for geeks. Why do they never follow the characters once they've had children and show the family dynamics, or else keep the characters unmarried and childless, as is closer to reality for some?

scoobydoo1
Post  Post subject: Re: TBBT  |  Posted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:08 pm

I'd used to follow the series for the first six seasons, and it definitely started out as a enjoyable sitcom. However, as the series gained a following and matured, the characters relationship aspect of the overall plot became a little too predictable for my taste. Sure, there were still well crafted comedy sprinkled here and there between episodes, but personally I'd found the series had undertaken a direction that I did not enjoy as much when in the earlier seasons.

As for character development, I find that Wolowitz and Koothrappali's character had the best development amongst all the primary characters. The writers and actors really did a good job for both of them in the first couple of seasons. Since I have not followed the series past the sixth season, I'm not certain if that still holds true. I'd like it more when the episodes tossed in comic book, fantasy, and computer gaming references into awkward social and B/G relationships.

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: TBBT  |  Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:46 am

I too like the way the producers developed Howard's and Rajesh's respective characters. In fact, all of the characters bar Penny were carefully and gradually transformed. The vulnerabilities, or perceived vulnerabilities of the individual characters help to keep the social group cohesive. Leonard is emotionally tarnished by his childhood experiences of being treated with cold scientific analysis rather than motherly affection and so cleaves to the warmth of Penny, who represents the antithesis to his mother, preferring to display affection rather than over-analyse. Penny initially feels financially insecure and intellectually inferior and so appreciates the smart Leonard's affection. Howard's vulnerabilities lie with his not having had a father figure in his life and his almost co-dependent relationship with his mother coupled to his initial lack of self-esteem (resulting in over-compensation when interacting with prospective partners) - hence the reason for his appreciating the acceptance shown to him by Bernadette, whose parentage and religion represent a kind of moral authority that almost validates Howard's worthiness. I can't think of any glaring weakness of Bernadette's except for her sneaking revelations of subtle immorality (inventing and then treating subclinical non-diseases). Rajesh has the obvious problem of not being able to talk to women which stems from lack of confidence of unknown origin. Sheldon has many vulnerabilities due to his undiagnosed Aspergers syndrome but perhaps his greatest flaw is to fail to perceive those weaknesses and to fail to acknowledge that he has emotional needs just like everyone else

Last edited by Rory on Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: TBBT  |  Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:58 am

Amy's insecurities are almost entirely social-related.

Sheldon is easily my favourite character because he is the most interesting in terms of his genetic (Aspergers and great intellectual capacity) and environmental (Christian working class upbringing) heritage which make for all kinds of internal conflict that never becomes boring.

I miss the days when it was possible to watch a new episode of TBBT and to not be quite sure what would feature except for the fact that it would resonate with actual scientists and a lay audience in terms of representing scientists, albeit exaggeratedly, outside of a work context. Now it is just a case of incremental progression to their impending marriages and children. Like all of the other sitcoms.