FAQ
It is currently Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:50 pm

bunbury
Post  Post subject: Colorado River returns to the sea  |  Posted: Sun May 18, 2014 4:50 pm
Original Member
Original Member

The Colorado River rises in Colorado but hasn't reached the sea for decades, due to damming and diversions for agricultural and other human needs. It finally dries up in northern Mexico, where it used to flow into the Sea of Cortez. The delta ecosystem it once supported has become a sandy wasteland.

An experiment is under way to test the delta's response to a controlled surge flow, plus, if I understand it correctly a small permanent flow from now through 2017. The hope is that new cottonwood and other vegetation will spring up. A further hope is that, if successful, the experiment could turn into a permanent re-supplying of the delta and revegetation. I would think that agricultural interests, and the cities of Palm Springs and Los Angeles will be watching developments closely.

Having rafted the Westwater section of the Colorado in Utah it's hard to imagine this great river disappearing many miles downstream. I hope this experiment succeeds.

http://www.upi.com/Science_News/2014/05/16/Colorado-River-reconnects-with-Sea-of-Cortez/7761400259617/