FAQ
It is currently Thu May 25, 2017 4:56 am

SkinWalker
Post  Post subject: The History of Playing Cards  |  Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:03 am
Original Member
Original Member

Something I didn't know was that China is the origin of the first playing cards.

Apparently the favorite daughter of Emperor Yizong of the Tang dynasty, Princess Tongchang, would play the game of leaves (yeh-tzâ) with members of the family of her powerful husband (Wei Baoheng).

One legend has it that Marco Polo brought this "technology" of gaming back from the Orient, which may or may not be true, but either way, cards became all the rage in Europe in the late 14th century and statutes were even created to regulate this nefarious activity.

I would imagine that a certain amount of gambling accompanied the fad from the very beginning!

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: The History of Playing Cards  |  Posted: Thu May 19, 2016 1:37 am
Original Member
Original Member

I wonder if there were earlier versions used, proto-playing cards, as it were. Maybe carved items, special stones, random bones, that sort of thing? After all, don't we still call dominos bones today because that's what were previously used for similar games...actual bones?

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

Daecon
Post  Post subject: Re: The History of Playing Cards  |  Posted: Thu May 19, 2016 3:06 am

I wonder if there's any connection between the Minor Arcana of the Tarot deck and regular playing cards?

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: The History of Playing Cards  |  Posted: Thu May 19, 2016 3:25 am
Original Member
Original Member

I'm gonna need a wiki assist on that one. Minor Arcana of the Tarot deck?

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

Daecon
Post  Post subject: Re: The History of Playing Cards  |  Posted: Thu May 19, 2016 5:09 am

With Tarot cards, there are two types of cards - the "major" arcana including the well-known cards such as "the fool", "the lovers", "death", etc. and the "minor" arcana of 56 cards in four suits - cups, swords, coins, and wands - numbered Ace to 10 along with the Page, Knight, Queen, and King of their respective suits.

PhDemon
Post  Post subject: Re: The History of Playing Cards  |  Posted: Thu May 19, 2016 7:20 am

I do recall reading somewhere that modern playing cards descended from tarot cards with the suits evolving from cups, coins, clubs and swords to the modern hearts, diamonds, clubs and spades.

EDIT: on checking it seems that tarot cards were first made in the fifteenth century while playing cards themselves go back much further (first examples 9th century Imperial China)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Playing_c ... ly_history

- Kurt Vonnegut, The Sirens of Titan

mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: The History of Playing Cards  |  Posted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:07 am

I wonder where and by whom trading cards, like baseball cards, were invented?

mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: The History of Playing Cards  |  Posted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:25 pm

I did some research and I found out that the first baseball cards were invented in the United States by Peck and Snyder back in the mid 19th century.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: The History of Playing Cards  |  Posted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:36 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Interesting! I'm willing to bet there were other types of trading cards (maybe for other sports or for knights in medieval times?) even before that. Perhaps people even traded pieces of famous peoples clothing, or bones after a battle, or shards from a sword or battle axe, maybe. Not sure, but seems possible?

mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: The History of Playing Cards  |  Posted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:43 pm

iNow wrote:
Interesting! I'm willing to bet there were other types of trading cards (maybe for other sports or for knights in medieval times?) even before that. Perhaps people even traded pieces of famous peoples clothing, or bones after a battle, or shards from a sword or battle axe, maybe. Not sure, but seems possible?

Baseball trading cards became popular with the invention of photography. Before that if something like a sport or other trading card existed maybe instead of a photograph there was an artistic drawing or representation instead. I am also sure people have been trading all kinds of things since ancient times before trading cards.

mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: The History of Playing Cards  |  Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:37 pm

Before the invention of money people would trade goods and services for other goods and services. It is known as bartering.

Ppa
Post  Post subject: Re: The History of Playing Cards  |  Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:16 am

PhDemon wrote:
I do recall reading somewhere that modern playing cards descended from tarot cards with the suits evolving from cups, coins, clubs and swords to the modern hearts, diamonds, clubs and spades.

EDIT: on checking it seems that tarot cards were first made in the fifteenth century while playing cards themselves go back much further (first examples 9th century Imperial China)

I think the answer is still open to discussion. Maybe you were right first time and that they originated in Italy.

Ppa
Post  Post subject: Re: The History of Playing Cards  |  Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:16 pm

Please see this link

www.druidry.org/library/history playing-cards-and-tarots