FAQ
It is currently Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:36 pm

bunbury
Post  Post subject: Captain Cook died here  |  Posted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:19 pm
Original Member
Original Member

This is Kealakekua Bay on the Big Island of Hawaii. The stone plaque is close to the spot where he was killed by Hawaiians in an apparent dispute over boats. He was then disemboweled and his flesh stripped to the bone, which was a treatment reserved for high dignitaries, apparently. The actual spot is a few feet away and marked with a white X. There is also a large white obelisk a hundred yards along the shore in a chained off square of ground that will remain a part of England forever. This plaque is ignored by most people, who come here for great snorkeling, as we did. The black rock is all lava rock.

To get to this spot we hiked down a 1.5 mile steep, rocky shadeless trail and then back up again after which we had blisters and sunburn and my wife wouldn't speak to me for a while. Sane people go by boat.Image

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Captain Cook died here  |  Posted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:39 am
Original Member
Original Member

Beautiful photos. A bit jealous, if I'm honest! :)

What's the story behind Captain Cook? Why was we killed like that?

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

bunbury
Post  Post subject: Re: Captain Cook died here  |  Posted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:06 am
Original Member
Original Member

According to the guide book for the Big island, Cook and his sailors were at first revered as gods by the native Hawaiians but when one of the crew died and was buried they realized they were just human beings and were no longer held in reverence. Then when a dispute arose it turned ugly. Cook tried to kidnap the chief which seems like a dumb move, and was clubbed and speared.

I have an interest in Cook because he lived in Whitby, in Yorkshire, the town where my dad was born, and he boarded in a house owned by a family with my family's name. Research by niece of mine proves that this was coincidence - not our ancestors at all, but it piqued my interest anyway. Later I saw Cook's monument in Anchorage, and now another monument in Hawaii - trail's end for old Cap'n Cook.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Captain Cook died here  |  Posted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:49 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Thanks for that! You do have to wonder what drives a person to think they can just kidnap a tribal leader like that with impunity. Is it a sense of one's own significance or just pure ignorance of basic diplomacy and group norms? It just boggles my mind.

There's probably a whole other discussion thread here about when and why we've historically considered other beings to be "gods" and all of the special powers and immortality-type traits we ascribe to them...

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

bunbury
Post  Post subject: Re: Captain Cook died here  |  Posted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:49 pm
Original Member
Original Member

That would be a good discussion. We did another hike that went across a volcano's crater called Kiluaea Iki - the solidified lava covered crater bottom that is. Nothing bubbling or smoking although there was some hot steam rising from vents. Legend says that if you take anything from the crater the goddess Pele will do you harm. So naturally I picked up a piece of lava rock and stuffed it in my backpack. It immediately began raining, proving beyond doubt the power of Pele.

It is so easy and tempting to believe in the supernatural. In the case of Cook and the native Hawaiians the death of a sailor easily falsified the belief that the Europeans were immortal and therefore not gods. The clever thing about current religions is that there is no equivalent way to disprove their beliefs. Without any physical embodiment of the belief there is no test that can be performed. If faith is based on walking talking entities that can die then that faith can be tested and rejected.

Olinguito
Post  Post subject: Re: Captain Cook died here  |  Posted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:45 pm

bunbury wrote:
The black rock is all lava rock.

Aa or pahoehoe? ;)

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: Captain Cook died here  |  Posted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:15 am

Quote:
bunbury wrote:
So naturally I picked up a piece of lava rock and stuffed it in my backpack. It immediately began raining, proving beyond doubt the power of Pele.

You don't want to mess with mystic forces :lol:

wireless
Post  Post subject: Re: Captain Cook died here  |  Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:59 pm

bunbury, fantastic pics, and a nice piece.

astromark2014
Post  Post subject: Re: Captain Cook died here  |  Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:22 am

Location: On a hill near a park. The Whanganui National Park, New Zealand.

Note to ' wireless ' the thread was already over a year old and now it gets another look another year down.. But I do not see a lot of harm in dragging up older stuff if the want to chat about it exists... but some of the contributors may never see your input.. they move on..

BUT : I will add a personal view.. Nobody has the right to just pick up and take home rocks from all over the place.. Some things are held as sacred by native communities. The point that if everyone just took a bit of this and that.. It would be gone quicker than it should be..
However the realist within, screams at me.. 'Putting a rock in your back pack did not make it rain.' ~ That's the work of the weather and climatic conditions.. really.

wireless
Post  Post subject: Re: Captain Cook died here  |  Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:01 pm

Note to astromark2014. Quite a few threads on this forum are old. I read something old that I liked and commented upon that. This particular forum is starting to attract new blood, negative comments like yours will possibly stifle this process. Anyway, last year I went to Australia and I ascended and descended Ayers Rock. I took with me a small piece of Ayres Rock, it now lives with me in a small glass bottle.