FAQ
It is currently Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:21 pm

marnixR
Post  Post subject: ImageShack  |  Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:50 am

as some of you may be aware i'm using ImageShack to upload pictures which i'm showing in places like the "daily species" thread

now this morning i received the following email, not sure what to make of it :

"After much consideration and brainstorming we created the new ImageShack to give you the most value. Our goal is to provide you unlimited image sharing options, give you innovative features and an abundance of applications.

We are removing advertisements on the new ImageShack pages, allowing you to upload what you wish, and moving to a subscription based model. For a small amount each month you will enjoy using our innovative and modern product to satisfy your every image hosting and sharing need."

does that mean people who don't pay subscription lose (access to) their images ?
does anyone have any further news on what's happening here ?

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: ImageShack  |  Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:58 pm
Original Member
Original Member

This is the first I'm hearing of this, but it certainly sounds like they are moving to a fee-for-service model. The only way they could offer it free in the past was to plaster the pages with advertisements. If ads are going away, then it would be rather odd for them to continue offering the service for free.

However, a quick google turned this up, which seems to contradict my above assumption:

http://blog.imageshack.com/blogpost/201 ... be-hosted/
Quote:
ImageShack is changing but your images will still be hosted.

JAN 17
ImageShack is moving from an advertising based business model to a subscription based model. This not only means a more beautiful site but one that is more secure, more cutting edge and has more features. If you decide that you don’t want to pay for a subscription account, after your free thirty day trial, we will still host your images and you will be able to access them at anytime at no charge. Our goal is to continue to support our loyal and faithful users.

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: ImageShack  |  Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:56 pm

but presumably not post new ones

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: ImageShack  |  Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:55 pm

i think it's time to look for a replacement site - does anyone have any ideas ?

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: ImageShack  |  Posted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:48 am
Original Member
Original Member

Most of my nerd brethren seem to like imgur. I don't really do much photo sharing outside of FB, so cannot say myself.

http://imgur.com/

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: ImageShack  |  Posted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:36 am

ok let's try this one

Olinguito
Post  Post subject: Re: ImageShack  |  Posted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:45 pm

I use Photobucket.

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: ImageShack  |  Posted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:27 pm

weird - seen from my works PC it looks like all the styling and scripting has been stripped out
i'll have to check whether that's an issue with security at work (in which photobucket won't be much use) of whether it's a temporary issue with the site

bunbury
Post  Post subject: Re: ImageShack  |  Posted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:51 pm
Original Member
Original Member

I use Flickr

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: ImageShack  |  Posted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:31 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Whatever you use, I find myself regularly jealous about where you live and the beauty you get to see each day, bunbury. :)

bunbury
Post  Post subject: Re: ImageShack  |  Posted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:45 pm
Original Member
Original Member

We don't see that every day. It takes quite a bit of effort to get to these places. I'm not complaining though!

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: ImageShack  |  Posted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:30 am

marnixR wrote:
weird - seen from my works PC it looks like all the styling and scripting has been stripped out
i'll have to check whether that's an issue with security at work (in which photobucket won't be much use) of whether it's a temporary issue with the site

yep, it's definitely the security settings at work - the page renders perfectly at home but without styles and scripting at work - sorry, but that won't do

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: ImageShack  |  Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:19 am

any idea what's up with ImageShack ? yesterday at home i had a brand-new look-and-feel site which didn't recognise my log-in details, and which wasn't very helpful in calling for help
this morning at work i got the message "Sorry we have been offline for the past few days. We’ve hit a bump on the road, but we are hoping to get back on track by the end of the week. Check https://twitter.com/ImageShack for updates."

the twitter link says "ImageShack is currently down and engineers are attempting to recover the services, we expect partial restoration in 24 hours, and full in 78" - the trouble is, that was posted 2 days ago

which is a bit of a shame, since i started a bird gallery site which depends on direct links of images i've store on Imgur and ImageShack, and if the latter is not available then that's a bit of a bummer - means i'll have to try and recreate the missing ImageShack images in Imgur
not impossible, but a bit of a bind

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: ImageShack  |  Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:25 pm
Original Member
Original Member

maybe they got hit by the same douchebags that attacked the dot com site recently

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: ImageShack  |  Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:49 pm

i wonder whether upgrade of their website went wrong big time - we're approaching the 72 hours in which they hoped to put things right, but still no sign of ife

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: ImageShack  |  Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:37 am
Original Member
Original Member

We're talking terabytes / petabytes of info. They likely had to do a forced restore from a backup. Backups at many sites are taken nightly. Could've been a server fail or datacenter crash. If their was a code hug that caused the fail, it's possible the same bug hit the backup / restore server. It seriously could've been something simple, even akin to an iOS upgrade. I wonder what vendor they use for server hardware and how they maintain.

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: ImageShack  |  Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:38 am

it's back up now - i got rather worried when my username + password were no longer recognised
thought it was part of them trying to get rid of non-paying members

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: ImageShack  |  Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:57 pm
Original Member
Original Member

maybe the site owner just has some bad blood with the country of Portugal and didn't want any additional pics of amazing stone walls and castles to be hosted on their site! :lol:

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: ImageShack  |  Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:18 pm
Original Member
Original Member

iNow wrote:
maybe the site owner just has some bad blood with the country of Portugal and didn't want any additional pics of amazing stone walls and castles to be hosted on their site! :lol:

I think Inow is onto something with this. ;)

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: ImageShack  |  Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:58 pm

haven't been able to add anything to my picture collection on ImageShack since they restricted that privilege to paying members - meanies like me who want everything for free can still see their pix + make direct links to them, but for how much longer i don't know

at least imgur seems to allow me to add pictures for free (at least for as long as it lasts) - but i restrict uploads to pictures i intend to use on my wordpress sites

alexg
Post  Post subject: Re: ImageShack  |  Posted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:10 am

I use photobucket. It's still free

Philosophically more pleasing, more psychologically easy
Richard Feynman

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: ImageShack  |  Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:26 am

iNow wrote:
Most of my nerd brethren seem to like imgur. I don't really do much photo sharing outside of FB, so cannot say myself.

http://imgur.com/

something I've come across recently when attempting to access imgur from the library is that they've put a block on the site - any idea why ? + is this likely to be a more widespread issue ?

the main reason why I'm asking is that my bird blog uses links to my imgur images and if the latter are blocked then my blog site is lacking its main thing which is the pictures - that would be rather a bummer

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: ImageShack  |  Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:00 pm

I used to use imageshack, but didn't they introduce charges?

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: ImageShack  |  Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:16 pm
Original Member
Original Member

marnixR wrote:
...they've put a block on the site - any idea why ? + is this likely to be a more widespread issue ?

That I do not know. Maybe sites like this can guide you: http://www.loverslab.com/topic/56018-wo ... e-firefox/

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: ImageShack  |  Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:37 pm

Rory wrote:
I used to use imageshack, but didn't they introduce charges?

yeah, i used to be on imageshack as well, but whilst i could keep my old pictures, any new ones you wuld have to pay for, so that's why i was looking for a free alternative

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: ImageShack  |  Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:39 pm

iNow wrote:
marnixR wrote:
...they've put a block on the site - any idea why ? + is this likely to be a more widespread issue ?

That I do not know. Maybe sites like this can guide you: http://www.loverslab.com/topic/56018-wo ... e-firefox/

my concern is that i may be able to see my own pictures but maybe other people can't ?

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: ImageShack  |  Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:02 am
Original Member
Original Member

might be useful to post a link for a few of us to click from here and report back what we see (or, perhaps more apropos, what we don't see)

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: ImageShack  |  Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:49 pm

just follow the bird blog link : all the pix in any of the blogs come from imgur, so if you see one you should see all of them, on the other hand, if you don't see any on one blog post you won't see any on any other blog post

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: ImageShack  |  Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:24 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Images looked fine from here. Spot checked several from different months in both 2016 and 2015. Hovered over several and confirmed all from imgur. Rendering was good. No error or any noticeable issues.

On another note, there are some truly brilliant nature shots you've got there!

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: ImageShack  |  Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:48 pm

the strange thing is that imgur is blocked in the library but not in my place of work, where they're usually quite security-conscious
I might make a search on places like Norton or McAfee

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: ImageShack  |  Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:00 pm

nope - I can't find anything that might indicate that there's any need to block imgur

Olinguito
Post  Post subject: Re: ImageShack  |  Posted: Fri May 06, 2016 10:53 pm

Nowadays I use Pinterest.