Obviously
Post  Post subject: Defining infinite sets  |  Posted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:00 pm
Original Member
Original Member

I'm having some troubles doing this. The exercise is as follows:

Given two infinite sets:
S = { 5,10,15,20,25,... } and
T = { 3,4,7,8,11,12,15,16,19,20,... }.
Specify each of these sets by defining the properties Ps and Pt such that S = { x ∈ N : Ps(x) } and T = { x ∈ N : Pt(x) }.

N is natural numbers btw.

I tried defining the property of S like this:
Ps = { x ∈ S : x ∪ |{0,1,2,3,4}| }

This looks retarded, to put it bluntly, but I'm not sure what else I can do. I suppose I should instead try and define something like "every fifth element in N". Not sure how to go about this though. The book doesn't help.

Does that apply to insane people too?

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: Defining infinite sets  |  Posted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:29 pm

sorry i can't help - this is so totally over my head

Obviously
Post  Post subject: Re: Defining infinite sets  |  Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:55 pm
Original Member
Original Member

I suddenly got the idea that I could use the difference in sets and came up with this:
Ps = { x ∈ S : x ∉ {1,2,3,4,6,7,8,9} }

I quickly realized this wouldn't do either.

I really hope I survive this semester... :roll:

Prometheus
Post  Post subject: Re: Defining infinite sets  |  Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:04 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Could you define S as something like the multiples of 5 of all the positive natural numbers? So N=1 would map to x=5, N=2 would map to x=10 and so on. Not sure how that would look notationally though, something like:

S = { x ∈ N : 5N for all positive N }

I know how you feel by-the-way. Who would have thought this maths stuff was so hard, hey?

Obviously
Post  Post subject: Re: Defining infinite sets  |  Posted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:14 am
Original Member
Original Member

Prometheus wrote:
I know how you feel by-the-way. Who would have thought this maths stuff was so hard, hey?

I know this is supposed to be easy, but for some reason my mind gets stuck on trivial things. I thought of doing this through a bijection or something like you seem to suggest yet for whatever reason I thought that was not how I was supposed to solve it.

Prometheus wrote:

I suppose something more is needed. Like having a function f : S --> N. Then something like f(s) --> n or whatever. Then having defining the function as being a property of S. I'll have to play around with it a little later I suppose.

Thanks for the input!

Obviously
Post  Post subject: Re: Defining infinite sets  |  Posted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:51 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Obviously wrote:
Prometheus wrote:

I know this is supposed to be easy, but for some reason my mind gets stuck on trivial things. I thought of doing this through a bijection or something like you seem to suggest yet for whatever reason I thought that was not how I was supposed to solve it.

Prometheus wrote:

I suppose something more is needed. Like having a function f : S --> N. Then something like f(s) --> n or whatever. Then having defining the function as being a property of S. I'll have to play around with it a little later I suppose.

Thanks for the input!

EDIT:
Turns out I was overcomplicating things (as is typical for me). It should suffice with something like Ps = { x ∈ S : 5x ∈ N } I think. Oh well.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Defining infinite sets  |  Posted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:51 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Obviously wrote:
Turns out I was overcomplicating things...

Story of my life. :lol:

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

shlunka
Post  Post subject: Re: Defining infinite sets  |  Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:20 pm

I tried Kolmogorov complexity but it didn't work.

Olinguito
Post  Post subject: Re: Defining infinite sets  |  Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:42 pm

My preferred definition of an infinite set:

A set X is infinite iff it has a proper subset Y such that a bijection f:XY exists.
However, the equivalence of this to other definitions of infinite sets may depend on the axiom of choice in Zermelo–Fraenkel set theory, on which modern mathematics is based.