FAQ
It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:09 pm

iNow
Post  Post subject: The world in which we live: Hard data & clear charts  |  Posted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:40 pm
Original Member
Original Member

I like the way this summary is pulled together. Lots of different issues are summarized, and the focus is broad and data-based. It's called "40 charts that explain the world we live in," and it gives a good sense of where we are, where we used to be, and where we seem to be heading.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/won ... the-world/
Quote:
We searched for charts that would tell not just the story of how the world is -- but where it's going. Some of these charts are optimistic, like the ones showing huge gains in life expectancy in poorer nations. Some are more worryisome -- wait till you see the one on endangered species. But together they tell a story of a world that's changing faster than at arguably any other time in human history.

Here is one of my favorites:

What do you think? Anything surprise you, stand out, or cause you concern or joy?

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

Obviously
Post  Post subject: Re: The world in which we live: Hard data & clear charts  |  Posted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:42 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Nothing too shocking. Chart #39 is kind of hilarious, but not that unexpected. I was a little surprised at the differences in pay between men and women. I can't help but wonder if there are variables not accounted for there (chart #37).

Too bad the extremists stopped ObamaCare and all that jazz. It would have been interesting to see whether it would have a large effect or not on these charts later on.

The rate at which animals are becoming extinct is always worrying, not to mention global temperatures and ice melting. We're doing a lot of damage on that front (still).

I will never be happy with life expectancy until we discover immortality. :)

I was hoping religion would be more in decline, but eh.

Does that apply to insane people too?

bunbury
Post  Post subject: Re: The world in which we live: Hard data & clear charts  |  Posted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:50 am
Original Member
Original Member

Pay differences between men and women can at least partially be explained by the fact that in many professions women have not historically been employed. In engineering there are now many women coming into the profession, but the average age of women engineers, and corresponding experience level is well below that of the men. The highly experienced and highly paid are overwhelmingly male. As the codger generation retires or dies the statistics will look different. (I tried to do my part.)

ObamaCare hasn't been stopped. It's alive and well, even if many of us would have preferred something different.

Obviously
Post  Post subject: Re: The world in which we live: Hard data & clear charts  |  Posted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:51 am
Original Member
Original Member

I suppose with a large dataset you could also be at risk of committing Simpson's Paradox, which is especially typical in data concerning gender.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: The world in which we live: Hard data & clear charts  |  Posted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:47 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Can you clarify what mean when you say "extremists stopped Obamacare?"

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

Obviously
Post  Post subject: Re: The world in which we live: Hard data & clear charts  |  Posted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:11 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Didn't those tea-party right-wing crazies halt the country at some point? I have to admit I'm not that into politics.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: The world in which we live: Hard data & clear charts  |  Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:21 am
Original Member
Original Member

Lol. No worries. Here's the Cliff's Notes version as I see it:

• Obamacare passed into law.
  • They tried to repeal it more than 40 times by congressional vote and failed every time.
  • They took it to the Supreme Court arguing that it was unconstitutional (in 3 or 4 different cases, each using different arguments and strategies) and lost each.
  • There was a presidential election in 2012 that centered on this issue at the expense of most others, and they did not get elected despite (because of?) their promises to repeal the law.
  • They shutdown the government and threatened to default on our national debt payments (thus throwing the global economy into another tailspin, but one worse than what we saw in 2008-9) unless we defunded the program (cut its balls off), but they acquiesced after severe public pressure and funding came through.
  • Obamacare kicked in as scheduled, and is now the law of the land.
  • It had some problems with the website when it launched, but those are largely fixed.
  • There are some minimal cost controls that are slightly shrinking the growth of long-term healthcare costs in the US, but most cost controls were stripped out during negotiations when the bill was being drafted, and many of the ones that did make it through were decimated via amendments to other completely unrelated bills being voted on in the future (like bills about vehicle fuel standards or random stuff like pre-K schooling... they tacked on amendments to those to change the already passed healthcare law).
  • Unfortunately, the focus of the law is not so much on cost control and that remains a big problem for us to solve, but at least it extended coverage to nearly 50 million more Americans who previously didn't have health insurance and were one illness away from bankruptcy and total financial ruin.

Obviously
Post  Post subject: Re: The world in which we live: Hard data & clear charts  |  Posted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:01 am
Original Member
Original Member

That looks like a pretty accurate summation of events to me. Poor America.