FAQ
It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:36 pm

iNow
Post  Post subject: Planet likely to warm min of 4C by 2100, 2x dangerous levels  |  Posted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:06 pm
Original Member
Original Member

This really isn't looking good, and a sense of urgency seems completely absent among those who can do actually anything about it. It's 2014, yet the debate among the populace is still the same as it was roughly 3 decades ago (despite overwhelming agreement among experts across research domains and fields of study).

What are your thoughts?

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/ ... 00-climate
Planet likely to warm by 4C by 2100, scientists warn.
Quote:
Temperature rises resulting from unchecked climate change will be at the severe end of those projected, according to a new scientific study.

The scientist leading the research said that unless emissions of greenhouse gases were cut, the planet would heat up by a minimum of 4C by 2100, twice the level the world's governments deem dangerous.

<...>

"Climate skeptics like to criticize climate models for getting things wrong, and we are the first to admit they are not perfect," said Sherwood. "But what we are finding is that the mistakes are being made by the models which predict less warming, not those that predict more.

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

bunbury
Post  Post subject: Re: Planet likely to warm min of 4C by 2100, 2x dangerous le  |  Posted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:49 am
Original Member
Original Member

Sorry to bring politics into it, but how can we discuss climate issues without discussing politics? This new information just makes it all the more critical to elect people to power who see the necessity to curb CO2 emissions especially from power plants but also from cars and trucks - a simple carbon tax, or cap and trade properly enacted. In America this means electing Democrats. Period.

Apathy and ignorance are all around us. A recent letter from a reader in the Denver Post explained that the research vessel stuck in Antarctic ice proved once and for all that global warming is hoax. For some readers this will be sufficient to justify business as usual.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Planet likely to warm min of 4C by 2100, 2x dangerous le  |  Posted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:30 pm
Original Member
Original Member

bunbury wrote:
Sorry to bring politics into it, but how can we discuss climate issues without discussing politics?

I agree with you and (since the science is now so abundantly clear) I don't think we can discuss this without discussing politics.

bunbury wrote:
Apathy and ignorance are all around us. A recent letter from a reader in the Denver Post explained that the research vessel stuck in Antarctic ice proved once and for all that global warming is hoax.

It's not just readers of the Denver Post making that argument. Check this out for a delightful collection of the aforementioned ignorance:
http://billmoyers.com/2014/01/03/dear-d ... l-warming/

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

bunbury
Post  Post subject: Re: Planet likely to warm min of 4C by 2100, 2x dangerous le  |  Posted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:48 pm
Original Member
Original Member

And I continue to ask: are these people really that stupid, or is it simply ideology trumping (no pun intended) science?

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Planet likely to warm min of 4C by 2100, 2x dangerous le  |  Posted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:53 pm
Original Member
Original Member

I'm not sure. There is some evidence that people will look past facts and abandon reason if it means they can more ably support their tribe or pack. We see this in evolution where republican acceptance of evolution has actually decreased these last several years, despite the increase in evidence in support. It's as if they are protecting their clan. Same seems to apply with climate change. While many people are genuinely ignorant about the topic, IMO another large many have no desire to check that their conclusions are valid since they align with their existing ideology and reinforce their sense of group membership.

bunbury
Post  Post subject: Re: Planet likely to warm min of 4C by 2100, 2x dangerous le  |  Posted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:12 am
Original Member
Original Member

We have a clear answer to my question above: are these people really that stupid, or is it simply ideology trumping (no pun intended) science? It is simply ideology. Ideology justifies lying apparently.

Quote:
But anyway, that’s when the whole global warming thing started, and frankly, Aaron, I thought there might be something to it – until we found out the cost it would be to the United States of America of $300 billion to $400 billion a year.”

Sen. Jim Inhofe (R-OK)

billvon
Post  Post subject: Re: Planet likely to warm min of 4C by 2100, 2x dangerous le  |  Posted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:36 pm

bunbury wrote:
Sorry to bring politics into it, but how can we discuss climate issues without discussing politics?

In general, discussion of climate change can remain purely in the science realm, but discussions of how to _mitigate_ climate change are, necessarily, almost all political. It's important to remember that most climate change deniers are not motivated purely by a desire to deny science, but by a desire to not suffer the short term consequences that mitigating climate change would entail. These are all personal/political - "I want to keep my SUV" "I hate the UN and they want to take over via scare tactics" "I want the price of gas to go down so I can afford more beer" etc.

Quote:
This new information just makes it all the more critical to elect people to power who see the necessity to curb CO2 emissions especially from power plants but also from cars and trucks - a simple carbon tax, or cap and trade properly enacted. In America this means electing Democrats. Period.

While democrats tend to accept the science of climate change more readily, they are as unwilling as republicans to make the sort of drastic changes needed to significantly reduce our CO2 outputs. (Not because they don't think it's important, but because they know they will be voted out of office if they increase suffering among the electorate notably.)

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Planet likely to warm min of 4C by 2100, 2x dangerous le  |  Posted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:04 am
Original Member
Original Member

Excellent points, billvon. Also, welcome to the TSF.org community!

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: Planet likely to warm min of 4C by 2100, 2x dangerous le  |  Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:00 pm

Almost every article on global warming still ends, "we need to reduce carbon emissions". As if that were somehow a helpful point to make.

Individualism + short-termism = disaster