FAQ
It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:35 pm

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Chancel repair liability  |  Posted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:33 pm

this is something i read in the paper today and definitely caused a wtf moment - it would appear that people are finding out that "a drive by the [UK] government to register chancel liability rights has already resulted in 247 Anglican churches registering 12,276 homes or plots of land as carrying liability to pay"

i really had to look this up, because could it really be that a law passed under Henry VIII still had any validity in current legislation ?

What are chancel repairs?
Chancel repair liability still an issue for conveyancers
Chancel repair liability

would it really possible to enforce support for the Church of England to an unsuspecting property owner who may not even be an anglican ? even if the deeds say so, but have until recently been only a theoretical possibility ?

i know for a fact that i would fight it tooth and nail, the main thrust being that (1) i'm not an anglican (2) i'm not british, and (3) i refuse to pay for institutions that i don't support

oh, and (4) i would question the enforceability of a law from 4 centuries ago

bunbury
Post  Post subject: Re: Chancel repair liability  |  Posted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:59 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Quote:
and (4) i would question the enforceability of a law from 4 centuries ago

and I would stand shoulder to shoulder with you brother, but the law does appear to be enforceable as this couple found out:

http://www.chancelrepair.org/2.html

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: Chancel repair liability  |  Posted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:37 am

time to find yourself a creative accountant who can find an angle on this
this is so wrong it surely must have massive loopholes somewhere if you know how to exploit them