FAQ
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:03 am

marnixR
Post  Post subject: the ghost of extinct birds  |  Posted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:39 pm

quite an interesting article about the plant adaptations that don't make sense except for for herbivores that are no longer with us

The ‘ghosts’ of extinct birds in modern ecosystems

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: the ghost of extinct birds  |  Posted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:42 am
Original Member
Original Member

I saw a video a few weeks ago discussing a similar topic, but can't seem to find it. It's a cool topic. I think somehow the ginko biloba tree is another example.

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

Moontanman
Post  Post subject: Re: the ghost of extinct birds  |  Posted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:46 pm

I've read this argument made for the mega fauna as well, in that stuck in my mind is that avocados seeds were spread in the dung of mammoths..

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: the ghost of extinct birds  |  Posted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:38 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Moontanman wrote:
I've read this argument made for the mega fauna as well, in that stuck in my mind is that avocados seeds were spread in the dung of mammoths..

The avocado stood out in my memory, too. I'll have to try to devote some time to finding what called this to my attention.

In the meantime, are there are clear arguments against this proposal? Something that might be used by a creationist or similar denier of reality?

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

Moontanman
Post  Post subject: Re: the ghost of extinct birds  |  Posted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:52 pm

iNow wrote:
Moontanman wrote:

The avocado stood out in my memory, too. I'll have to try to devote some time to finding what called this to my attention.

In the meantime, are there are clear arguments against this proposal? Something that might be used by a creationist or similar denier of reality?

Good question, mega fauna haven't been gone long in geologic time, and the fossil record of them is quite large to say the least. Some "renegade" scientists want to either resurrect the mega fauna and turn them loose in wild areas of North America or transplant things like elephants and such. I have mixed feelings about that...

There are clearly plants that no longer have animals to disperse their seeds, osage orange is another that comes to mind. I'll have to google a little and see what I can come up with...

Moontanman
Post  Post subject: Re: the ghost of extinct birds  |  Posted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:59 pm

I didn't have to look far...

http://scientopia.org/blogs/guestblog/2 ... erbivores/

http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi ... ne.0001745