FAQ
It is currently Mon May 29, 2017 5:03 pm

iNow
Post  Post subject: China Landed a Rover on the Moon Today  |  Posted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:52 am
Original Member
Original Member

What do you think?

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/12/ ... 6T20131214
Quote:
China landed an unmanned spacecraft on the moon on Saturday, state media reported, in the first such "soft-landing" since 1976, joining the United States and the former Soviet Union in managing to accomplish such a feat.

The Chang'e 3, a probe named after a lunar goddess in traditional Chinese mythology, is carrying the solar-powered Yutu, or Jade Rabbit buggy, which will dig and conduct geological surveys.

http://www.space.com/23938-china-moon-r ... cting.html
Quote:
Once on the moon, the lander will unleash the instrument-laden Yutu rover, a six-wheeled robot built to trundle across the dusty, time-weathered terrain for months. Yutu — which means "Jade Rabbit" — is named after the rabbit that travels with the goddess Chang'e to the moon in Chinese legends. [See photos from China's Chang'e 3 moon landing and rover mission]

The solar-powered Yutu rover comes equipped with cameras, a robotic arm tipped with science sensors and a radar system attached to its underbelly. The stationary lander itself is instrumented to observe Earth, astronomically eye other celestial objects from the moon, as well as watch the Yutu rover scamper about.

<snip>

Chinese space officials have been clear about surveying the moon and then tapping it for its resources.

"China has made no secret of their interest in lunar Helium-3 fusion resources," said Harrison "Jack" Schmitt, a former Apollo 17 moonwalker and professional geologist.

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: China Landed a Rover on the Moon Today  |  Posted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:00 am

i wonder how far away a permanent moon colony is ?

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: China Landed a Rover on the Moon Today  |  Posted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:25 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Indeed. With China landing on the moon, and Japan landing on asteroids, and all of us looking to mine and extract metals and/or water... More people involved in this type of exploration means we ought to get to the successful colonization of other worlds that much sooner.

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

jimmydasaint
Post  Post subject: Re: China Landed a Rover on the Moon Today  |  Posted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:20 pm

This is a fascinating piece of research and shows the world that Chinese technology is reaching the same heights as other countries. As PR for China, it is an excellent message for other nations.

In terms of establishing colonies on the Moon, or indeed, Mars, can we first establish such self-subsisting colonies on Earth first before we take such a leap into the unknown?

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: China Landed a Rover on the Moon Today  |  Posted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:09 pm
Original Member
Original Member

I worry slightly that our motivation here is avarice and exploitation, not understanding, exploration, or securing a future space of humanity. I'm unsure it really matters in the end, but I would rather we go there for more altruistic means than to "mine whatever we can find and become rich back on terra firma."

Prometheus
Post  Post subject: Re: China Landed a Rover on the Moon Today  |  Posted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:08 pm
Original Member
Original Member

There is a history of political motivations hijacking scientific motivations. Maybe it's time to reverse the roles.