FAQ
It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:50 am

bunbury
Post  Post subject: Ender's Game  |  Posted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:18 pm
Original Member
Original Member

We saw a trailer for this new sci fi movie (while waiting for Gravity 3D Imax to begin - awesome if I may use that overused word). Ender's Game looks like a terrific movie based on the popular book. I read it quite a few years ago.

The author, Orson Scott Card, is a homophobe who has written and spoken against same-sex marriage, and homosexuality in general. Some LGBT groups have proposed boycotting the film because of his views. I dislike his personal views on several issues, but I don't think that justifies a boycott. Wondering whether you agree with the film's producer that it is important to separate the art from the artist.

Quote:
Producer Roberto Orci added: “I think if we’d detected any of the issues surrounding the controversy in the text itself or in Gavin’s script, yeah, it would have given us pause.... That just wasn’t our reality. I do think it is important when you are dealing with art to try and separate art from the artists.”

Prometheus
Post  Post subject: Re: Ender's Game  |  Posted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:39 pm
Original Member
Original Member

I love Wagner. The man is not the message.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Ender's Game  |  Posted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:15 pm
Original Member
Original Member

bunbury wrote:
Wondering whether you agree with the film's producer that it is important to separate the art from the artist.

This is a tough one for me. I agree that it's important to separate the art from the artist, but I do not want to support an artist who harbors or espouses disgusting and bigoted views.

With a movie like Ender's Game though, it's probably a bit different. There are production staff and actors and musicians and editors all involved pulling it together, and they shouldn't be made to suffer as a result of the script authors views on some other subject.

However, let's look at it in context of something where others are not involved in the same way others are involved with the creation of a film.

I would not buy a painting from a racist person who is known to advocate a return to slavery, even if the painting is well-done and of some unrelated subject matter. I would not purchase the album of a band that is known to advocate the subjugation of women and removal their right to vote, even if the rhythms and the sound were really rocking. I would not eat at the restaurant of a chef known to put live kittens in microwaves or to use puppies as golf balls, no matter how amazing the cuisine.

I do not want to support them. I want to ostracize them. I want their behavior to have consequences and be minimized in society as a result of those consequences. For that reason, I'm generally inclined not to see the movie, but my disgust is greatly softened by the knowledge that the writer is only one small component of the larger viewing experience.

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

bunbury
Post  Post subject: Re: Ender's Game  |  Posted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:32 pm
Original Member
Original Member

When the artist is dead like Wagner any action one takes has zero impact on what that person did or stood for in his lifetime, whereas a boycott of Ender's Game might send a message to its author that might have some effect in terms of making him revisit his beliefs.

Prometheus
Post  Post subject: Re: Ender's Game  |  Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:46 pm
Original Member
Original Member

So the issue is not in liking something that is from a less than likeable character, but of not wanting to support such a person?

The debate shouldn't include just the arts then, but also anyone you know with bigoted views local baker to hollywood actor.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Ender's Game  |  Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:57 am
Original Member
Original Member

Here's a video from a channel I enjoy which is discussing this exact topic.

So... Will you? Should you?

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

GiantEvil
Post  Post subject: Re: Ender's Game  |  Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:43 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Enders Game is a spectacular piece of fiction, and is cannon for the well rounded Sci-fi fan. Also, Orson Scott card is a breathing Douche. I myself am still struggling with the general implications of a golden egg being laid by a filthy diseased goose. It's a level of paradox and irony that achieves discomfort. I can't call a right or wrong on this, it's a nearly irreconcilable conundrum.

GiantEvil
Post  Post subject: Re: Ender's Game  |  Posted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:57 am
Original Member
Original Member

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rp2GxYBcBgM&feature=c4-overview&list=UU6vEgUAUC6ti47YsczNNoRQ[/youtube]