FAQ
It is currently Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:52 pm

marnixR
Post  Post subject: wanting the world to be more interesting  |  Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:31 pm

just something that crossed my mind, seeing how Moontanman would like UFOs to be really extraterrestrial beings, that mammoths are still with us, that there is still something to be found in Loch Ness etc. etc.

could be that a lot of cryptozoology and ufology and similar things are the result of us wanting the world to be more interesting than it really is ?
obviously i would be the first to applaud if someone could conclusively prove that there are still dinosaurs surviving in the Congo, or mammoths in Siberia, or if there really were alien visitors to our part of the galaxy

trouble is, most of us agree reluctantly that something doesn't become really just because we really really want it to be true - even if it means a world that is duller than we would have hoped

so my question to Moontanman is : is this what drives you, or am i way off the mark ?

Prometheus
Post  Post subject: Re: wanting the world to be more interesting  |  Posted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:59 pm
Original Member
Original Member

marnixR wrote:
trouble is, most of us agree reluctantly that something doesn't become really just because we really really want it to be true - even if it means a world that is duller than we would have hoped

I don't understand this position. The world is more fantastic than we imagine - possibly we can't ever imagine in it's entirety, forever to be beyond our ken. Whatever the world is, it's not dull. It would be far duller if the world were as we wanted it to be.

I recently stated watching the recordings of the legend that is Carl Sagan. I think this one is pertinent:

bunbury
Post  Post subject: Re: wanting the world to be more interesting  |  Posted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:36 am
Original Member
Original Member

Indeed the world is quite interesting enough without wishing for gods and monsters.