FAQ
It is currently Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:15 pm

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Arctic ice cover watch  |  Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:00 am

a few sites that i find of interest to follow what's going on :

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Arctic ice cover watch  |  Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:38 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Those are good sites. A few years ago, I stumbled across one called the Extreme Ice Survey and it was very impactful.

http://extremeicesurvey.org/

I'm unsure if it's available outside of the US since it's publicly funded broadcasting, but PBS NOVA did a special on it and it's worth the watch.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/earth/extreme-ice.html
The video: http://video.pbs.org/video/1108763899/

EDIT: Think I found a copy on youtube.

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: Arctic ice cover watch  |  Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:44 pm

you're right - i can only see it on the youtube copy
still worth a watch though

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: Arctic ice cover watch  |  Posted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:15 am

a good subset of the arctic ice cover is the graph contained in the following link - lets you see how ice cover changed throughout the year for each year - there appears to have been a step change to lower ice cover (and remaining that way after) in 2007

http://nsidc.org/arcticseaicenews/charc ... ice-graph/

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: Arctic ice cover watch  |  Posted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:08 pm

a little bit wider than just Arctic ice cover : Climate Central
at first glance looks pretty comprehensive to me (although admittedly, all from a US PoV)

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: Arctic ice cover watch  |  Posted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:49 am

Well, the Conservatives, Lib Dems and Labour have agreed to co-operate on climate change regardless of the electoral outcome - shows good will, if nothing else

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: Arctic ice cover watch  |  Posted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:04 am

well, i'm sure they'll take credit for meeting their targets when they oversee the closure of the rest of the steel industry in the UK

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: Arctic ice cover watch  |  Posted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:51 pm

Yeah, they're scaling back at Tata aren't they

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: Arctic ice cover watch  |  Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:03 pm

another noteworthy addition to the arctic ice cover monitoring :

Cryosat now measure the ice cover in 3D : '3D Cryosat' tracks Arctic winter sea ice

and there's also a website : CryoSat Operational Polar Monitoring

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: Arctic ice cover watch  |  Posted: Thu May 14, 2015 7:39 pm

marnixR wrote:
a few sites that i find of interest to follow what's going on :

is it just me, or has cryosphere today ceased to exist ?

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Arctic ice cover watch  |  Posted: Thu May 14, 2015 9:27 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Not just you. Page appears gone.

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: Arctic ice cover watch  |  Posted: Sun May 17, 2015 7:18 pm

it's back now

Lynx_Fox
Post  Post subject: Re: Arctic ice cover watch  |  Posted: Sun May 15, 2016 11:05 pm

Pretty impressive spring, lower than and outside 2 standard deviations from average for 3+ months running.

Pong
Post  Post subject: Re: Arctic ice cover watch  |  Posted: Sun May 29, 2016 9:14 am
Original Member
Original Member

Cryosphere Today 5/27/2016 arctic: Typical example of spring meltwater hosing from the deltas to kickstart the sea-ice breakup. I think this freshwater also disrupts the thermocline, but it's just a pet theory. If true you could predict sea ice melt from the volume of snow on land.

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: Arctic ice cover watch  |  Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:48 pm

something very unusual is happening with the ice cover in the Arctic : the rate of increase is very slow, making the end of october ice cover the lowest ever recorded

The Arctic Is Having a Very Bad Time