FAQ
It is currently Wed May 24, 2017 12:22 am

imp
Post  Post subject: RTV Silicone Rubber  |  Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:24 pm

Does anyone know of a solvent which will thin room-temperature curing silicone rubber? I know there are at least two types, one smelling of acetic acid, the other odorless.

I need to apply a very thin coat to a small object; dipping it would be a perfect way. Thanks. imp

Neverfly
Post  Post subject: Re: RTV Silicone Rubber  |  Posted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:26 am

Ever heard of an online company called "Monster Makers?" You might check them out, as well...

S.G. and I both have an active interest in mask making and such, though, I am NOT good at it and focus more on the dental- making fangs and such as appliances.
http://www.smooth-on.com/Silicone-Rubbe ... index.html

RTV Silicon thinner- Note the Disadvantage warning on the page!:
http://www.smooth-on.com/Silicone-Rubbe ... index.html

imp
Post  Post subject: Re: RTV Silicone Rubber  |  Posted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:51 pm

Thanks for that! I searched quite awhile, came up with thinners, but think they all are intended for use with pourable silicones, not the gelled-type you get out of a tube. Never experimented too far, but know they are immiscible with water, alcohol, acetone. Perhaps petroleum base, (like benzine) or gasoline. imp

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: RTV Silicone Rubber  |  Posted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:12 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Acetone and diesel are right where my mind went, too, but since I wasn't sure I didn't share.

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan