FAQ
It is currently Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:07 am

seagypsy
Post  Post subject: Little known bands  |  Posted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:21 am

If anyone knows of bands or artists that they think deserve more exposure post links to their work here.

This is an unsigned Scottish band that for now, if I am not mistaken just plays local shows in bars. Though they have actually come to the US a couple of times by way of the lead man's notoriety and American fans requesting their presence. Thanks to the internet, the old assumption that a garage band or a local bar ban will never be known is a thing of the past.
Beecake performing "Rip It Up"
http://youtu.be/TvDq5yv0Bnk

seagypsy
Post  Post subject: Re: Little known bands  |  Posted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:40 pm

tridimity wrote:
This lady seems pretty inspiring, her success has been hard-won (she started off as one of those living statue people - I have always wondered, what do they write on their CV? '9am-5pm I am a living statue'?) and she relies on crowd-funding.

Amanda Palmer: The Art of Asking (TED Talk)

Thank you, that was amazing. I wish more artists would see it the way she does.

bunbury
Post  Post subject: Re: Little known bands  |  Posted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:45 am
Original Member
Original Member

My niece's hubby's backyard performance somewhere in Dorset.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lUHTDhlCDs&feature=em-share_video_user[/youtube]

imp
Post  Post subject: Re: Little known bands  |  Posted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:33 am

How could we encourage return of nostalgically interesting bands by discussing them here? Some, survived the "ages": Stones, for one.

How about the truly poignant works such as David Gates? (Bread). Listen to the painful irony of his "The Diary". Or "If", one of the shortest big hits ever.

Roy Orbison, unattractive as sin itself, but talented beyond belief, marketed globally as a "doper" to enhance his "image", the man would not even drink a beer! His work reflected his sorrow. His wife, riding her motorcycle ahead of his, a favorite pastime for them, killed underneath a semi. Then, some years later, his two children burned to death in a house fire. The man continued onward, one of his last still reverberating today: "Anything you Want, You Got It". He died 52.

Or, the phenomenally popular Marvin Gaye, killed by his own father in a parking lot! The man was exonerated.....

Neverfly
Post  Post subject: Re: Little known bands  |  Posted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:55 am

imp wrote:
How could we encourage return of nostalgically interesting bands by discussing them here? Some, survived the "ages": Stones, for one.

Another is Aerosmith. Black Sabbath.
These guys are ancient and they still ROCK.

imp wrote:
How about the truly poignant works such as David Gates? (Bread). Listen to the painful irony of his "The Diary". Or "If", one of the shortest big hits ever.

Roy Orbison, unattractive as sin itself, but talented beyond belief, marketed globally as a "doper" to enhance his "image", the man would not even drink a beer! His work reflected his sorrow. His wife, riding her motorcycle ahead of his, a favorite pastime for them, killed underneath a semi. Then, some years later, his two children burned to death in a house fire. The man continued onward, one of his last still reverberating today: "Anything you Want, You Got It". He died 52.

Or, the phenomenally popular Marvin Gaye, killed by his own father in a parking lot! The man was exonerated.....

Nitpick: Marvin was shot in home having been seated on the bed with his mother having a discussion.

But your point is valid in all except one thing: Have all these artists been lost? I am about half your age but I know them... I've got a pretty large assortment of music and most modern artists still are inspired by the Greats of the Past and you hear it in new albums, either in an obvious homage or in subtle nuances.
I have recordings of Korn, Buddy Holly and Al Martino.

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: Little known bands  |  Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:56 pm

Skinflint (Newport) - a colleague of mine has this band that is becoming rather well-known locally for their live gigs

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=47 ... =2&theater

jimmydasaint
Post  Post subject: Re: Little known bands  |  Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:41 pm

I vote for obscure but brilliant bands UFO (from Britain) and two French bands - Trust and La Phaze whose lyrics are almost entirely in French but could do with more international exposure.