FAQ
It is currently Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:57 pm

Moontanman
Post  Post subject: Theoretical magnetic field strength  |  Posted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:44 pm

Is there any reason to think that magnetic fields we are currently able to generate are as strong as magnetic fields can be or is it possible to generate magnetic fields of any strength we desire given enough power?

I ask this in relation to the nuclear light bulb reactor and possible confinement of a fission reaction by a magnetic field instead of a quartz glass bubble...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_lightbulb

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Theoretical magnetic field strength  |  Posted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:07 pm
Original Member
Original Member

I'm pretty sure we can create stronger fields than we already do, but I'm unsure what limits there may be on how strong we can make them. After all, stars like our sun seem to emit pretty strong fields, and there are stars far bigger than our sun out there. The question is how clever we as humans can be in harnessing it.

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan