FAQ
It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:56 am

marnixR
Post  Post subject: oldest primate ?  |  Posted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:27 pm

the title had me puzzled a bit :

Tiny Chinese Archicebus fossil is oldest primate yet found
Tiny, Ancient Tree-Dweller Was One Of Earth's Earliest Primates
Oldest primate skeleton unveiled

oldest primate ? even oldest primate skeleton ?
what happened to the Plesiadapiformes, are they no longer thought of as true primates ? and what happened to the Adapids ? surely these are primates, if not ape ancestors ?

has anyone kept more up-to-date on the topic than i have ?

seagypsy
Post  Post subject: Re: oldest primate ?  |  Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:31 pm

I'm not a paleontologist but from the link you posted regarding Plesiodapiformes, it says they were primate-like. Not quite the same as true primates.

" Modern primates are unique among mammals in their adaptation to life in the trees. Their capabilities of grasping and leaping allow rapid locomotion in this environment, which is in turn related to the large brain size they have developed. As far as we know, plesiadapiforms also spent most of their time in the trees. However, they lack adaptations for fast leaping as we see them in modern primates and were not capable of moving as quickly through the trees. In addition, their brain was still very small in comparison to modern primates. On the other hand, plesiadapiforms soon acquired traits that are unusual for later primates, especially enlarged incisors that are superficially similar to those of rodents. This suggests that the plesiadapiforms were not the direct ancestors of modern primates, but rather a branch that split off from the mainline of primate evolution (from today's point of view) at an early date."

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: oldest primate ?  |  Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:42 pm

they used to be counted as primates - haven't kept track of recent developments in primatology, so don't know whether current taxonomy counts true primates as the last common ancestor of anthropoids and strepsirrhines

seagypsy
Post  Post subject: Re: oldest primate ?  |  Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:12 pm

lol I'm anything but schooled in this area of science. So I have to look up the big words you use. Actually that applies to most topics people post here. I have to look up the big words. Sometimes the small words. Sometimes even words I use regularly. Then I have to look up the words that are used to define those words... i tend to get lost in what eventually has me looking up words in Greek or Latin to the point that I forget what the original search was all about.

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: oldest primate ?  |  Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:10 am

the following abstract is quite good :

Primates: cladistic diagnosis and relationships

Quote:
... Euprimates, the group including living primates and their closest common ancestor, ... <snip> ... Plesiadapiformes, the group of archaic primates generally held to be the sister group to Euprimates, is not demonstrably monophyletic ... <snip> ... The Superorder Archonta (primates, tree shrews, bats, and colugos) is the only higher-level grouping including Euprimates that is based on uniquely derived morphological characters ... <snip> ... Because the higher-level affinities of Euprimates are not well resolved, we advocate equating the Order Primates with the taxon Euprimates.

so in essence what used to be counted as primates is made up of the currently living primates, and a diverse bunch that probably don't form a natural group
it does, however, the problem of what to do with the Plesiadapiformes, since under the new system they then become various basal Archonta

jackk
Post  Post subject: Re: oldest primate ?  |  Posted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:02 pm

hii,

Earth, is only home planet in our solar system in which the life exist. The major factors we are essential to survive are provided under a thin layer of atmosphere that separates us from the void of space where we are not fit to live. Earth is consist of complex, interactive systems that are often unable to predict. As Air, water, land, and life—includes humans—merge forces to create a constantly altering world that we are striving to understand. If we view earth from different and unique perspective of space then it provides the opportunity to observe earth as a whole .

----
-----

LINK REMOVED