FAQ
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:23 am

jimmydasaint
Post  Post subject: What is a good time for allowing Edits?  |  Posted: Sat May 18, 2013 12:00 pm

I don't think I am being selfish here, but what is the time to post and then be able to edit a post for typo's etc...? I think we should be allowed a good 2-3 hours for correcting gaffes(which I tend to make often as my mind runs ahead of either my typing hands or my mouth).

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: What is a good time for allowing Edits?  |  Posted: Sat May 18, 2013 4:39 pm

changed the timing to allow edits from 15 to 120 minutes
max. time in which a post can be deleted remains 15 minutes

jimmydasaint
Post  Post subject: Re: What is a good time for allowing Edits?  |  Posted: Sat May 18, 2013 5:54 pm

marnixR wrote:
changed the timing to allow edits from 15 to 120 minutes
max. time in which a post can be deleted remains 15 minutes

Thanks marnixR

It will come in handy.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: What is a good time for allowing Edits?  |  Posted: Sat May 18, 2013 6:40 pm
Original Member
Original Member

It makes sense to have this change made now given the structure of our community, but we will need to keep an eye on that edit window as the site grows. There are just too many people out there who try to "win" an argument by going back and editing their post AFTER someone has replied to it... They twist the conversation in a way that makes the response/rebuttal of their points look wrong or off. Much of this can be mitigated by using the quote feature, but I've had some bad experiences with people doing that in the past so I'm sensitive to it.

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

Robittybob1
Post  Post subject: Re: What is a good time for allowing Edits?  |  Posted: Tue May 24, 2016 7:18 am

iNow wrote:
It makes sense to have this change made now given the structure of our community, but we will need to keep an eye on that edit window as the site grows. There are just too many people out there who try to "win" an argument by going back and editing their post AFTER someone has replied to it... They twist the conversation in a way that makes the response/rebuttal of their points look wrong or off. Much of this can be mitigated by using the quote feature, but I've had some bad experiences with people doing that in the past so I'm sensitive to it.

If a post is quoted, and later the original post is edited will the quoted post stay the same? I like quoting then the readers know what and who you are referring to.

steve upson
Post  Post subject: Re: What is a good time for allowing Edits?  |  Posted: Tue May 24, 2016 11:00 am

Robittybob1 wrote:
I like quoting then the readers know what and who you are referring to.

Agreed.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: What is a good time for allowing Edits?  |  Posted: Tue May 24, 2016 2:33 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Robittybob1 wrote:
If a post is quoted, and later the original post is edited will the quoted post stay the same?

They are not dynamically linked. If you quote someone, that quote becomes independent and part of your post. Edits to the original being quoted will have no impact on the quote within your own post.

Thanks for bumping this thread, though. I'm going to reduce the EDIT time to 30 minutes to minimize this risk. If the community feels that's too short (or still too long), we can reevaluate.

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

Robittybob1
Post  Post subject: Re: What is a good time for allowing Edits?  |  Posted: Tue May 24, 2016 4:02 pm

iNow wrote:
Robittybob1 wrote:
If a post is quoted, and later the original post is edited will the quoted post stay the same?

They are not dynamically linked. If you quote someone, that quote becomes independent and part of your post. Edits to the original being quoted will have no impact on the quote within your own post.

Thanks for bumping this thread, though. I'm going to reduce the EDIT time to 30 minutes to minimize this risk. If the community feels that's too short (or still too long), we can reevaluate.

Why I was interested in the EDIT time was because recently I made an error in one of my posts but I wasn't able to edit it. I'd got used to to having a long edit time (another forum), but here with the shorter time you just have to thoroughly recheck what you have written quicker.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: What is a good time for allowing Edits?  |  Posted: Tue May 24, 2016 4:13 pm
Original Member
Original Member

In most cases, folks will understand if you just add a new post clarifying your previous one. If the mistake is particularly egregious or there's some justifiable and critical need, staff can always edit it for you after the fact, but I ask that this be limited to extreme cases only and made exceedingly rare.

Snafuperman
Post  Post subject: Re: What is a good time for allowing Edits?  |  Posted: Wed May 25, 2016 11:25 pm

I just need an hour to be allowed to delete a post that hasn't been responded to yet. Maybe two hours for an edit.

As soon as a post is responded to then I think it is too late for edits or delete. It's history. This would prevent revisionism.