FAQ
It is currently Sun May 28, 2017 8:38 am

bunbury
Post  Post subject: Is this girl a criminal?  |  Posted: Sun May 05, 2013 2:33 pm
Original Member
Original Member

A high school student messes around with toilet cleaner and aluminum foil on school premises, but not as part of a class, and creates a small explosion. She was expelled and is to be charged with a felony. Not knowing all the circumstances or what her intent was, it's easy to say let her let the criminal justice system decide her future. I say give her the benefit of the doubt that she had no intent to cause harm, let her off with a warning, and revoke her expulsion. Don't ruin a young life because of a misguided experiment.

Quote:
Sixteen-year-old Kiera Wilmot’s curiosity was apparently piqued when a friend told her that if you mixed hydrochloric acid and aluminum, an exciting reaction happened. So she did what countless amateur chemists before her have done: She went ahead and tried it. She mixed toilet bowl cleaner—essentially colored hydrochloric acid—and balls of aluminum foil in a small water bottle. The top of the bottle blew off with a satisfying bang, and there was even a puff of smoke.
....She was expelled from school and now faces felony charges.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Is this girl a criminal?  |  Posted: Sun May 05, 2013 3:05 pm
Original Member
Original Member

From what I've read, the school administration has even conceded they do not think she acted with malicious intent, and yet the felony charges move forward. This is just a stupid overreaction... a ridiculous zero tolerance policy enforcement... coming down at a time when people are particularly sensitive to stuff going boom due to recent events in Boston.

Criminal charges if someone got hurt or if the intent was to harm persons or property, sure. But an innocuous "popping sound" from a "whoops, guess that experiment didn't work out how I'd intended" that caused no real damage at all? Come on, no this is not the correct response.

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

GiantEvil
Post  Post subject: Re: Is this girl a criminal?  |  Posted: Sun May 05, 2013 9:04 pm
Original Member
Original Member

I just signed the petition to have the charges dropped here.