FAQ
It is currently Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:36 am

Moontanman
Post  Post subject: First deployment of laser weapon.  |  Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:09 pm

This is a short video of a now operational laser weapon system shooting down a drone. Is it just a matter of time before large scale lasers are deployed? Will they make attack aircraft obsolete? Hard to outrun a laser for sure.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: First deployment of laser weapon.  |  Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:49 am
Original Member
Original Member

Moontanman wrote:
Will they make attack aircraft obsolete? Hard to outrun a laser for sure.

I don't think so, mostly because the lasers will be ineffective when it's cloudy or foggy or if there are other similar particles in the air that obstruct the path of the light.

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

Moontanman
Post  Post subject: Re: First deployment of laser weapon.  |  Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:47 am

Good point but that can be used to advantage in an electrolaser... similar to a bolt of lightning...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrolaser

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: First deployment of laser weapon.  |  Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:41 am
Original Member
Original Member

Fascinating. I would think that impacts accuracy of hitting the target, but I'm way out of my depth already. I think it's a pretty cool technology for sure. Also, it's cost effective. A laser knocking a missile out of the air costs maybe one dollar, but using another missile to do it costs probably several thousand (or hundreds of thousands).

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

jimmydasaint
Post  Post subject: Re: First deployment of laser weapon.  |  Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:05 pm

Moontanman wrote:
Good point but that can be used to advantage in an electrolaser... similar to a bolt of lightning...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrolaser

What if you run to a car and try to drive off. Would the car not conduct the current generated safely to Earth?