FAQ
It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:03 am

iNow
Post  Post subject: Russian Sukhoi T-50 Stealth Fighter Debuted  |  Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:33 pm
Original Member
Original Member

http://www.smartplanet.com/blog/thinkin ... video/8201

Quote:
Yesterday marked the official debut of the Sukhoi T-50, a Russian aircraft designed to challenge the U.S. military’s F-22 Raptor — otherwise known as the most advanced fighter jet on the planet — for supremacy of the skies.

The stealth jet, also known as the PAK FA, was unveiled during the MAKS-2011 air show held near Moscow and is scheduled go into mass production within a relatively short span of three years, according to a report published by RIA Novosti, a state-run Russian news agency. The news comes on the heels of the revelation back in January that China was testing their own stealth fighter dubbed the J-20.

VIDEO: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1Q0eqSdpFs

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

15uliane
Post  Post subject: Re: Russian Sukhoi T-50 Stealth Fighter Debuted  |  Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:26 pm
Original Member
Original Member

It's pretty cheap, which is a huge bonus. It seems to be better armed than the F-22, but there are other more advanced jets in the works in the US- the F-35 which has vertical takeoff capabilities and By 2025-30 the US navy and air force will start buying 6th generation fighters.

I'm not too worried, but I kind of want Russia to join NATO.

John T. Scopes
Post  Post subject: Re: Russian Sukhoi T-50 Stealth Fighter Debuted  |  Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:18 am

Quote:
I'm not too worried, but I kind of want Russia to join NATO.

Not likely to happen, though it would be in their best interests. NATO is the best thing to happen to either the Soviet Union or Russia, but if I may indulge in some hyperbole for a moment, they need to first un-insert their heads from their posterical features to realize this.

That said, don't be too impressed. The Soviets have built some amazing things but they also were very good at creating Potemkin-style smoke-and-mirror shows, bluffing the West into believing they had capabilities they really didn't. One of the consequences of Putin's economic policies in Russia has been effectively de-industrializing over the past decade, losing much of its former Soviet manufacturing capacity as the kleptocracy in Moscow grows fat on oil exports. There was an incident a few years back where Russia was caught red-handed selling literally 1980s Soviet-era Mig-29s, repainted and refurbished (but sold as "new") to Algeria, which promptly returned them and demanded either repayment or other compensation. (Story here: http://www.defenceweb.co.za/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4177&catid=74&Itemid=30) Russian defense strategist Pavel Felgenauer commented that there were critical components manufactured in the Soviet days that Russia could no longer produce.

CaptainPanic
Post  Post subject: Re: Russian Sukhoi T-50 Stealth Fighter Debuted  |  Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:20 pm

Let's assume that the old ams race of the Cold War is on again (I don't believe it is, but let's go with it for this thread), and pitch the F-22 against the T-50.

The Russians sacrificed stealth for manoeuvrability, while the American F-22 went apparently for more stealth and less manoeuvrability. While manoeuvrability is certainly more fun to watch, it seems a lot less practical. What was the last time there was a real dogfight with fighter jets? Aren't the fights won at many kilometers distance with rockets nowadays? So, isn't stealth far more valuable then? Or are those Russian planes so manoeuvrable that they can dodge rockets and get in close?

15uliane
Post  Post subject: Re: Russian Sukhoi T-50 Stealth Fighter Debuted  |  Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:09 am
Original Member
Original Member

CaptainPanic wrote:
Or are those Russian planes so manoeuvrable that they can dodge rockets and get in close?

It's hard to dodge a heat seaking or radar homing missile...
As far as I know there were dogfights at least into Desert Storm, and during Israel's many conflicts there have been many dogfights. (Source: The History Channel's "Dogfights")

DrRocket
Post  Post subject: Re: Russian Sukhoi T-50 Stealth Fighter Debuted  |  Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:27 pm
Original Member
Original Member

15uliane wrote:
CaptainPanic wrote:
Or are those Russian planes so manoeuvrable that they can dodge rockets and get in close?

It's hard to dodge a heat seaking or radar homing missile...
As far as I know there were dogfights at least into Desert Storm, and during Israel's many conflicts there have been many dogfights. (Source: The History Channel's "Dogfights")

Actually, fighter pilots try to outmaneuver incoming missiles forcing them into turns that cause them to lose guidance lock or fail structurally. Other counter-measures include decoys and jamming. Shooting the launch site before they shoot you is also effective, and that can be done by ships, artillery or land-based missiles as well as aircraft.

The role of stealth is to avoid detection and being shot at in the first place.

You never know until it is tested, but I would bet on the F-22. That is an awesome aircraft, designed specifically as an air superiority fighter.

15uliane
Post  Post subject: Re: Russian Sukhoi T-50 Stealth Fighter Debuted  |  Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:44 am
Original Member
Original Member

Not to hijack the post, but there's also the chinese J20, which is supposed to be a 5th generation fighter but some poeple call it a 4.5.

I'm pretty sure it's designed for the heavy interceptor role, but it will not be available until 2017 at the earliest, by which time the F/A-xx will start service, a 6th generation fighter.

KALSTER
Post  Post subject: Re: Russian Sukhoi T-50 Stealth Fighter Debuted  |  Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:27 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Quote:
You never know until it is tested, but I would bet on the F-22. That is an awesome aircraft, designed specifically as an air superiority fighter.
If the T-50 has better manoeuvrability, but worse stealth, then it might be a handful in a straight dogfight. But, as I understand it, with the state of tech today, dogfights are a thing of the past virtually and the F-22 will have a clear advantage at long range shoot-down battles where it will probably be able to see the T-50 before being seen by it.

kojax
Post  Post subject: Re: Russian Sukhoi T-50 Stealth Fighter Debuted  |  Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:54 am
Original Member
Original Member

The main problem is that modern fighters are capable of turns that far exceed the G-force capacity of the human body. Once you've reached the limit of what the human pilot can survive, there's not much point in further improving what the machine can do.

If they go unmanned, it would be interesting to see what kinds of developments begin to emerge, though. However, if they go unmanned, they're going to need a hell of a good AI. I don't think remote control from the ground is a viable option. Wouldn't want the enemy finding a way to jam the signal and cause the plane to crash.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Russian Sukhoi T-50 Stealth Fighter Debuted  |  Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:15 am
Original Member
Original Member

kojax wrote:
However, if they go unmanned, they're going to need a hell of a good AI. I don't think remote control from the ground is a viable option. Wouldn't want the enemy finding a way to jam the signal and cause the plane to crash.

I think you're far too quick to dismiss something we're very likely already capable of doing.

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan