FAQ
It is currently Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:31 pm

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: The alien who loved me  |  Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:57 am
Original Member
Original Member

Roll-up #1: topic1131-50.html#p14079
Roll-up #2: topic1131-50.html#p14080
Roll-up #3: topic1131-80.html#p14339

Quote:
"Where are you taking us?" I asked while reaching tentatively for her amber tresses, and trying to ignore my inner turmoil about why I was newly in love with a fish, but in that department I supposed it was not too much of a leap from a tentacled slug to a fish; but then a cloud of bubbles engulfed her and she pointed at one fairly large one, "There!" she said, bursting several others as she did so. "Damn, there go a couple of universes, oh well, plenty more where they came from".

Roll-up #4:

In that very moment, she touched another bubble and it was as if space and time itself had stopped. All was still, all was silent. A sense of great peace ran through me. It had briefly turned dark, but warm light slowly rose around us. I realized that it was our own bubble... the layer that had been formed during the star explosion and which had protected us while hurtling through the galaxy was suddenly gone... and it was okay, because we were on a solid world with clean air. In the back of my head, I suddenly found myself humming the the song, "Welcome to the land of pure imagination... welcome to the land of tomorrow and today..."

We stood in a flowered meadow gently sloping down to a golden beach where gentle waves lapped invitingly as they rolled in from their turquoise infinity, while looking up the slope we saw butterflies flocking and verdant hills and beyond those rose majestic snow topped mountains. A spice-tinged breeze ruffled my hair and flapped Savannah's gills. I pivoted on my heels to embrace the fabulous panorama in full, ending my pirouette face to face with my fishy fantasy: "So...beautiful..." escaped my lips, but then Savannah said "Hold on nature boy, I'm switching off the simulation, then we'll see where we really are."

I'd been so over-taken with joy and ecstasy that I mistakenly thought Savannah said "stimulation," but by the time I realized what she actually said she'd already disabled it and shut it down. It didn't hurt too much, and then she shut down the simulation too. The landscape surrounding us was something out of a fantasy novel, but not the type with nymphs and dragons.

Where were we? I racked my brain to recall all the fantasy novels I had read, which amounted to two: Alice in Wonderland and something by Neil Gaiman that my son had made me read, but these didn't compare to the landscape that surrounded us. It was grim and gray, and at the same time claustrophobic, and it wasn't Cleveland...

I squatted down to take a chip from the surface. It was hard, and not nearly as brittle as it looked, and it was quickly apparent that I wouldn't be able to just grab a piece with my bare hands. I searched for something heavy and sturdy to knock a piece loose so I could analyze it, but there was nothing around me. Damn! How I wish I had a rock hammer right now, and maybe some good lab analysis equipment to see what the hell this was. After a few minutes of fruitless effort, all I had to show for my toil was an iridescent battleship grey powder the consistency of talcum all over my hands and fingers.

The grey powder was like agarose gel: try to pick up one piece and it breaks into two, rendering any attempt to lift it up futile - it just results in multiplication of the bits of material. After a while I gave up and tried to swallow my despair whilst surveying the surrounding landscape.

In fact, the landscape was unlike anything I had seen before. Because of the peculiar orbital relationships between the current planet and its orbiting moons, the oceans stood up tall in gigantic tidal waves, almost as if they were guards saluting or standing to attention - and no less majestic. The water would rush up in one direction and then immediately back down in the other direction, like an inverted waterfall. The planet's violent history was etched on its surface as craters had formed like valleys on other planets. A perfect opposite of the Earthly landscape: water projecting upwards into pristine mountains, higher than the naked eye could see - craterous valleys dipping into shadow-ridden dimensions. Besides the feelings of joy inspired by the beauty of the springs came a deadening fear - occasionally, the tidal waves would crash without any forewarning - usually engulfing a nearby valley. Above us now one tidal wave was looming, the inevitability of its fall (one day) was certain - but we had not figured out a way of predicting which waves would fall when - or why.

Just as I was contemplating my own mortal insignificance, a beam of light shone directly into a neighbouring valley, and for the first time ever we caught a glimpse of its contents and Bob and I were transfixed but Savannah only had eyes for the sea. Without hesitation she had dived from the cliff into a gigantic vertical wave and was gamboling and frolicking, her golden tresses swaying behind like an elongated Medusa, within its green depths, emerging now and then to leap into the air, catching a flying fish in her mouth and swallowing it whole, which reminded me how hungry we were but not for sushi, and plunging back once more into her aqueous nirvana. I was sure I had lost her and my heart ached with unrequited lust (let's be honest, now) and I was just reconciling myself to a future without fish-love when she shot out of the wave and landed as gracefully as her flippers would allow carrying several dead fishes: "Anyone for lunch?" she said, pulling a barbecue grill and propane cylinder out of her backpack.

It was almost embarrassing how quickly I felt sick at the sight... as if I'd had some conditioned taste aversion to alien fish, but I had to cowboy up for the good of the group and instead of answering sincerely, I quickly exclaimed... all while feeling as if my face were turning a bit green... "Hell yeah! Count me in!" The grilled fish was surprisingly delicious, white and flaky, lightly seasoned with fresh dill, a squeeze of lime and sprinkled with truffle oil. When gently masticated with a mouthful of chilled Chablis it was in fact quite memorable. I was almost able to forget that Savannah was eating one of her relatives as, newly invigorated by a generous intake of protein and omega 3 oils, and picking entrapped morsels from between our teeth with fish bones we once more turned our attention to that strangely illuminated valley.

But then a sudden and gut wrenching epiphany washed over me... We didn't have any dill here. There was no chablis... no limes... no truffle oil. It was only 20 minutes ago we were trying to turn a bubble made of sand into drinkable water. This had to be a simulation, or perhaps some sort of psychotic break. The taste, though, had been so real - no mere artificially stimulated fluxes of serotonin and dopamine - the only two things you ever enjoy, or even oxytocin - it was real fish and real wine and real dill. The truffle oil however was artificially flavored according to the Tesco label on the bottle, and well past its sell-by date.

And anyway, how many epiphanies can one guy have in a day? And then it suddenly came to me! Bob, who was half asleep sitting on the grass, opened one eye and said "Dang, looks like Phelge is having another one of his eppy-phonies." He stood up, stretched, yawned, farted, turned around and sat down again. "Wake me up when something happens, OK?" he said.

A creepy thought overcame me... Would it even be possible to wake up Bob if I tried? Then followed another creepy thought - why should I even try to wake him? If we left him here Savannah and I could hike off together, just the two of us, to explore that amazing valley full of those things we had seen in the shaft of light and at last spend some quality time without the ever-present Bob. Of course we'd come back for Bob as soon as we had done exploring.

Hmm, but would we though? I found myself questioning the sincerity of my thought, wondering how I could pretend to know something like that given the vast uncertainty in which we were currently immersed... this unknown world with its unknown resources and its unknown... realness. I didn't know if this world was real. I didn't even know if I would survive the next 5 minutes, let alone if I'd be able to come back for Bob. There's no way we could leave without him, no matter how intensely I desired being alone with Savannah. Bob is too important.

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

tridimity
Post  Post subject: Re: The alien who loved me  |  Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:01 am

There was only one thing I knew now: that I loved Savannah. All other stimuli were outside-in but this was inside-out and I felt with every Carbon atom of my body that I loved Savannah. Love then, after all, might just turn out to be the only thing that is real.

My next biggest hunch was that Bob represented the key to getting us home. Home in the deepest sense of the term.

bunbury
Post  Post subject: Re: The alien who loved me  |  Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:31 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Home! - that emotion packed word that could send the mind flying back to - where? Our beloved Dyson sphere was gone forever - so what did home mean now? My mind raced:
We can never go home again
Home town
Home plate
Home Depot
Homeless
Homeless - that was it we were homeless, so what was that deeper home that my mind insisted was still there, always there, that hovered like a moth near a candle flame at the very edges of my perception?

tridimity
Post  Post subject: Re: The alien who loved me  |  Posted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:38 am

Home. That place in one's soul you can run to, belong to, feel safe within. You can't take out a mortgage on it; losing the way is a real danger. All I knew now was that I needed Savannah to show the way home.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: The alien who loved me  |  Posted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:25 pm
Original Member
Original Member

No, not "show" me the way home. I needed Savannah to help me "define" what home even was... what it even meant anymore. Just then, an alarmed Bob cried out, "...

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

bunbury
Post  Post subject: Re: The alien who loved me  |  Posted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:05 pm
Original Member
Original Member

"ouch. ouch", while dancing around and smacking little bug-like creatures off of his legs: "buggers are biting me...ouch" finally he shook off the remaining ones and said "let's get out of here" and we prepared to walk to the valley; but now Savannah had a faraway look in her eyes and quietly whispered in my ear: You who choose to lead must follow, but if you fall you fall alone, if you should stand then who's to guide you? If I knew the way I would take you home. I had no clue what that meant.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: The alien who loved me  |  Posted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:31 pm
Original Member
Original Member

... , but it sounded profound and as if it should have a slowly strumming beaten up acoustic guitar accompanying it in the background.

"Bob, we need to keep a close eye on you," I said. "We have no idea what those things were that just bit you. Could be nothing, but better to remain vigilant." I started toward the valley with the other two following closely behind, Bob now looking a bit anxious and flushed.

bunbury
Post  Post subject: Re: The alien who loved me  |  Posted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:50 am
Original Member
Original Member

As we got closer and threaded our way down a steep trail we began to make out details of the objects below us lighted by the brilliant beam from the sky. I thought of Saul of Tarsus on the road to Damascus and wondered if I was going to have another...but my thoughts were interrupted by...

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: The alien who loved me  |  Posted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:01 am
Original Member
Original Member

... a sudden screeching sound down a grapefruit sized hole off to our right. It wasn't immediately obvious if it was local wildlife of some sort or something more sentient.

bunbury
Post  Post subject: Re: The alien who loved me  |  Posted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:08 pm
Original Member
Original Member

The screeching soon became an approximation to a raucous melody, something like the sound of bagpipes played by a sassenach, for no Scotsman would make noise as bad as that.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: The alien who loved me  |  Posted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:24 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Whatever it was, there were a lot of them in there, and they didn't sound happy that we were trampling around on the ground above them.

bunbury
Post  Post subject: Re: The alien who loved me  |  Posted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:41 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Savannah was fiddling with her ipad and muttering annoyed sounding phases under her fish breath: Java Update Available - damn get out of my face was one utterance Bob overheard, but finally Savannah seemed to find what she was looking for. "Bad news guys, we are in Cleveland. Only thing is it's 20,000 years in the future. That's lake Erie with the waves and things, and those underground noises, well, that's where the Clevelanders retreated to when the big thing happened. Something about that second moon..."

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: The alien who loved me  |  Posted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:18 pm
Original Member
Original Member

...coming rapidly close and impacting the mid-west. It killed millions immediately, and seems to have created a sort of nuclear winter. Apparently, a small handful survived underground and been evolving there in isolation ever since."

"For 20,000 years!?!" Bob said incredulously.

bunbury
Post  Post subject: Re: The alien who loved me  |  Posted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:10 am
Original Member
Original Member

"It cannot be true - I don't believe in time travel. No way are we in the future." Bob said, stamping his foot and pouting.

"Better start believing in time travel, 'cos there's no other way you're ever gonna see home again." Savannah said, coldly, and there it was, that word again: home - what did it even mean now?

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: The alien who loved me  |  Posted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:19 am
Original Member
Original Member

I still couldn't shake the feeling that all of this was somehow unreal, that somehow we weren't really here and it was all in my mind.

tridimity
Post  Post subject: Re: The alien who loved me  |  Posted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:38 pm

But, all of reality is just, a model constructed in the brain.

If only I could transform my thoughts, perhaps I could get us to that place, unlike any other.

H-O-M-E

bunbury
Post  Post subject: Re: The alien who loved me  |  Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:50 am
Original Member
Original Member

And that other feeling, that my mind contained multiple personalities, just wouldn't go away either. I never seemed to know what the other me's were going to say or do until they did it. Then I realized that life was nothing but a series of non sequiturs, and that home was a mental state. How could I find it when there were three of four of me, with no direction home, a complete unknown, like a rolling stone?

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: The alien who loved me  |  Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:40 am
Original Member
Original Member

I couldn't find it. Home was not a place, but a feeling, and a feeling that changed depending on my mood or my location.

Just then as this epiphany crystallized for me, a snarly whiskered creature covered in graying brown fur with long pointy nails and sharp fangy teeth... almost like a sewer rat the size of a volkswagen... brilliantly decorated as if a member of some imperial guard yet humble and wearing drab robes like those you'd see on a monk and covered by an ominous hood... Stepped silently out of the hole beside us and in perfect english asked, "You there! What is your purpose here, and for what reason have you dared to trespass into the sacred home of the Third order of the Aserians?" A group of similarly clad beings began forming ranks behind him as he continued, "Speak now, and speak clearly, or die."

tridimity
Post  Post subject: Re: The alien who loved me  |  Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:40 am

I began to regret not having paid more attention at grammar school, and worrying about the elocution adopted from finishing school. Mr. Brown told me I would come to regret not paying attention in class, I just never thought it would happen when faced with a majestic rodent...

bunbury
Post  Post subject: Re: The alien who loved me  |  Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:02 am
Original Member
Original Member

Savannah, however, was not intimidated and shuffled forward to look the lead rodent in the eye: "We are here to pay our respects to the Aserians and to humbly request safe passage through their lands".
"Hmmm, smells fishy to me" said the rodent, and with a sly look said "follow me."
Bob said "I smell a rat."

tridimity
Post  Post subject: Re: The alien who loved me  |  Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:06 am

All I smelled was irony :lol:

bunbury
Post  Post subject: Re: The alien who loved me  |  Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:28 am
Original Member
Original Member

"20,000 years of human evolution and we end up as Wombles."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZ2mJPSccvo

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: The alien who loved me  |  Posted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:43 am
Original Member
Original Member

The local lifeforms seemed unimpressed. One of them smoothly reached for a pocket in their robe and pulled out a...

bunbury
Post  Post subject: Re: The alien who loved me  |  Posted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:14 am
Original Member
Original Member

PEZ dispenser with an Elvis head. The lightning fast mind of Bob immediately realized what this meant -

Ascended
Post  Post subject: Re: The alien who loved me  |  Posted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:12 pm

- that in only a few terrifyingly short moments Bob would be expected to go and satisfy the insatiable carnal desires of this hideous local she beast, or face down the wrath and furious retribution of all these other strange lifeforms, he made the decision to......

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: The alien who loved me  |  Posted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:13 pm
Original Member
Original Member

fake a heart attack and promptly fell to the ground in spasms.

Ascended
Post  Post subject: Re: The alien who loved me  |  Posted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:06 pm

As Bob slowly opened his eyes he found himself in strange looking room. Everything was white, he guessed it to be some kind of alien medical centre, but then a load noise suddenly drew his attention....

bunbury
Post  Post subject: Re: The alien who loved me  |  Posted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:27 pm
Original Member
Original Member

The noise seemed to come from the next room and sounded like a restless diesel or several rodent-like creatures clearing their throats. Savannah, who was in the white room (with black curtains) quickly explained all that had happened during Bob’s fake emergency: they were to be judges in the Aserian versus humans poetry contest which was to take place down in the valley. This occurs every year at this time and usually ends in bloodshed due to the lack of impartial judges. At last there were some impartial judges. The PEZ incident was merely one contestant preparing to suck a much-needed breath mint.

Ascended
Post  Post subject: Re: The alien who loved me  |  Posted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:27 pm

Bob was clearly relieved at not having to pleasure the she beast, however his head still throbbed from the fall he took whilst acting out his fake heart attack. He was greatful at least, for the rest in the alien medical bay and was now beginning to wonder just what being a judge for the poetry contest might involve. He was glad that he wouldn't be having to do it alone, he felt uncertain, how could have been so wrong about the breath mint and the she beast, clearly it wasn't a horgon mating enchantment at all. Someone had been giving him bad information, from now on he decided he must tread carefully, but before.....

bunbury
Post  Post subject: Re: The alien who loved me  |  Posted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:55 pm
Original Member
Original Member

he could collect his thoughts they were hustled into a gigantic amphitheater - the very one from which the beam of light had come - and seated in three chairs facing an elevated stage, while uncomfortably close behind them was a loud and unruly audience. In front of each chair was a large red button.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: The alien who loved me  |  Posted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:21 am
Original Member
Original Member

Roll-up #4: topic1131-100.html#p14590

Quote:
I didn't know if this world was real. I didn't even know if I would survive the next 5 minutes, let alone if I'd be able to come back for Bob. There's no way we could leave without him, no matter how intensely I desired being alone with Savannah. Bob is too important.

Roll-up #5:

There was only one thing I knew now: that I loved Savannah. All other stimuli were outside-in but this was inside-out and I felt with every Carbon atom of my body that I loved Savannah. Love then, after all, might just turn out to be the only thing that is real.

My next biggest hunch was that Bob represented the key to getting us home. Home in the deepest sense of the term. Home! - that emotion packed word that could send the mind flying back to - where? Our beloved Dyson sphere was gone forever - so what did home mean now?

My mind raced.

We can never go home again...
...Home town...
......Home plate......
.........Home Depot.........
............Homeless............

Homeless - that was it we were homeless, so what was that deeper home that my mind insisted was still there, always there, that hovered like a moth near a candle flame at the very edges of my perception? Home. That place in one's soul you can run to, belong to, feel safe within. You can't take out a mortgage on it; losing the way is a real danger. All I knew now was that I needed Savannah to show the way home. No, not "show" me the way home. I needed Savannah to help me "define" what home even was... what it even meant anymore.

Just then, an alarmed Bob cried out, "ouch. ouch", while dancing around and smacking little bug-like creatures off of his legs: "buggers are biting me...ouch" finally he shook off the remaining ones and said "let's get out of here" and we prepared to walk to the valley; but now Savannah had a faraway look in her eyes and quietly whispered in my ear: You who choose to lead must follow, but if you fall you fall alone, if you should stand then who's to guide you? If I knew the way I would take you home. I had no clue what that meant, but it sounded profound and as if it should have a slowly strumming beaten up acoustic guitar accompanying it in the background.

"Bob, we need to keep a close eye on you," I said. "We have no idea what those things were that just bit you. Could be nothing, but better to remain vigilant." I started toward the valley with the other two following closely behind, Bob now looking a bit anxious and flushed. As we got closer and threaded our way down a steep trail we began to make out details of the objects below us lighted by the brilliant beam from the sky. I thought of Saul of Tarsus on the road to Damascus and wondered if I was going to have another...but my thoughts were interrupted by a sudden screeching sound down a grapefruit sized hole off to our right. It wasn't immediately obvious if it was local wildlife of some sort or something more sentient.

The screeching soon became an approximation to a raucous melody, something like the sound of bagpipes played by a sassenach, for no Scotsman would make noise as bad as that. Whatever it was, there were a lot of them in there, and they didn't sound happy that we were trampling around on the ground above them.

Savannah was fiddling with her ipad and muttering annoyed sounding phases under her fish breath: Java Update Available - damn get out of my face was one utterance Bob overheard, but finally Savannah seemed to find what she was looking for. "Bad news guys, we are in Cleveland. Only thing is it's 20,000 years in the future. That's lake Erie with the waves and things, and those underground noises, well, that's where the Clevelanders retreated to when the big thing happened. Something about that second moon coming rapidly close and impacting the mid-west. It killed millions immediately, and seems to have created a sort of nuclear winter. Apparently, a small handful survived underground and been evolving there in isolation ever since."

"For 20,000 years!?!" Bob said incredulously. "It cannot be true - I don't believe in time travel. No way are we in the future." Bob said, stamping his foot and pouting.

"Better start believing in time travel, 'cos there's no other way you're ever gonna see home again." Savannah said, coldly, and there it was, that word again: home - what did it even mean now? I still couldn't shake the feeling that all of this was somehow unreal, that somehow we weren't really here and it was all in my mind. But, all of reality is just, a model constructed in the brain. If only I could transform my thoughts, perhaps I could get us to that place, unlike any other.

H-O-M-E

And that other feeling, that my mind contained multiple personalities, just wouldn't go away either. I never seemed to know what the other me's were going to say or do until they did it. Then I realized that life was nothing but a series of non sequiturs, and that home was a mental state. How could I find it when there were three of four of me, with no direction home, a complete unknown, like a rolling stone?

I couldn't find it. Home was not a place, but a feeling, and a feeling that changed depending on my mood or my location.

Just then as this epiphany crystallized for me, a snarly whiskered creature covered in graying brown fur with long pointy nails and sharp fangy teeth... almost like a sewer rat the size of a volkswagen... brilliantly decorated as if a member of some imperial guard yet humble and wearing drab robes like those you'd see on a monk and covered by an ominous hood... Stepped silently out of the hole beside us and in perfect english asked, "You there! What is your purpose here, and for what reason have you dared to trespass into the sacred home of the Third order of the Aserians?" A group of similarly clad beings began forming ranks behind him as he continued, "Speak now, and speak clearly, or die."

I began to regret not having paid more attention at grammar school, and worrying about the elocution adopted from finishing school. Mr. Brown told me I would come to regret not paying attention in class, I just never thought it would happen when faced with a majestic rodent. Savannah, however, was not intimidated and shuffled forward to look the lead rodent in the eye: "We are here to pay our respects to the Aserians and to humbly request safe passage through their lands".

"Hmmm, smells fishy to me" said the rodent, and with a sly look said "follow me."
Bob said "I smell a rat."
All I smelled was irony. "20,000 years of human evolution and we end up as Wombles."

The local lifeforms seemed unimpressed. One of them smoothly reached for a pocket in their robe and pulled out a that in only a few terrifyingly short moments Bob would be expected to go and satisfy the insatiable carnal desires of this hideous local she beast, or face down the wrath and furious retribution of all these other strange lifeforms, he made the decision to fake a heart attack and promptly fell to the ground in spasms.

As Bob slowly opened his eyes he found himself in strange looking room. Everything was white, he guessed it to be some kind of alien medical centre, but then a load noise suddenly drew his attention. The noise seemed to come from the next room and sounded like a restless diesel or several rodent-like creatures clearing their throats. Savannah, who was in the white room (with black curtains) quickly explained all that had happened during Bob’s fake emergency: they were to be judges in the Aserian versus humans poetry contest which was to take place down in the valley. This occurs every year at this time and usually ends in bloodshed due to the lack of impartial judges. At last there were some impartial judges. The PEZ incident was merely one contestant preparing to suck a much-needed breath mint.

Bob was clearly relieved at not having to pleasure the she beast, however his head still throbbed from the fall he took whilst acting out his fake heart attack. He was greatful at least, for the rest in the alien medical bay and was now beginning to wonder just what being a judge for the poetry contest might involve. He was glad that he wouldn't be having to do it alone, he felt uncertain, how could have been so wrong about the breath mint and the she beast, clearly it wasn't a horgon mating enchantment at all.

Someone had been giving him bad information, from now on he decided he must tread carefully, but before he could collect his thoughts they were hustled into a gigantic amphitheater - the very one from which the beam of light had come - and seated in three chairs facing an elevated stage, while uncomfortably close behind them was a loud and unruly audience. In front of each chair was a large red button.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: The alien who loved me  |  Posted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:30 am
Original Member
Original Member

There is something primal about the large red button. It's an urge nearly as strong as the drive to eat or have sex or pierce bubble wrap... the urge to press the big red button.

"Holy crap, Bob! Buttons! Do you know what this means? It's the opportunity we've been looking for. It's our chance to..."

bunbury
Post  Post subject: Re: The alien who loved me  |  Posted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:02 pm
Original Member
Original Member

..wield unimaginable power over these contestants; to elevate their hopes and dreams to the chance of fame and fortune, or to dash their aspirations to smithereens by the push of a button. We have immense power. We must use it responsibly.

Ascended
Post  Post subject: Re: The alien who loved me  |  Posted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:49 pm

This however is not what they would do, as a maniacal sense of omnipotence by to slowly cloud their minds, it was if for them time had slowed down, they were intoxicated by their newly exalted positions. They began to push the button with no thought or regard for consequences, but even as they were together pressing the button their thoughts coalesced into clarity and sense of regret set in, stricken by a terrible sense of guilt they pondered on what had happened and why, this wasn't them. Little were they to know it at the time but they had been for a few brief moments drugged with a powerful narcotic gas.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: The alien who loved me  |  Posted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 12:13 am
Original Member
Original Member

Perhaps that could explain why the feeling that none of this was real kept recurring in my mind. It was definitely surreal, that was never in question, but I was struggling to convince myself this was all really happening. I thought about asking Bob if he was having similar feelings, and right then...

Ascended
Post  Post subject: Re: The alien who loved me  |  Posted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:36 pm

before I got the chance, more contestants were brought before us and we both had a serious decision to make. Bob looked at me and I looked at him, we were both thinking the same thing, we needed to get out of here and fast. Bob took my hand and pulled me along, he was trying to say something but my senses had yet to fully return and I did not hear. I looked back just in time to see everthing start to disintegrate, it had been a holographic projection all along, but one so real and detailed. What was going on.....

bunbury
Post  Post subject: Re: The alien who loved me  |  Posted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:27 am
Original Member
Original Member

on the stage though? A human contestant had just been booed off and pelted with some rotten fruit and now an Aserian stepped up to the microphone and began his or her recitation of a poem; one so gorgeous in its subtle complexity and many layered meaningfulness that I remember it vividly to this day. Listening to this work of loveliness was an epiphany for me. This is how it went:

See, see the old sky
Marvel at its big mauve depths.
Tell me, Ravi do you
Wonder why the aardvark ignores you?
Why its foobly stare
makes you feel flatulent.
I can tell you, it is
Worried by your argloms facial growth
That looks like
A mold.
What's more, it knows
Your virtual potting shed
Smells of peas.
Everything under the big old sky
Asks why, why do you even bother?
You only charm asafetida.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: The alien who loved me  |  Posted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:01 am
Original Member
Original Member

It was work reminiscent of the Vogon poetry dreamt up by the late Douglas Adams.

bunbury
Post  Post subject: Re: The alien who loved me  |  Posted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:23 am
Original Member
Original Member

There was no denying it.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: The alien who loved me  |  Posted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:39 pm
Original Member
Original Member

I had a sudden and massive urge to go grab a towel. "Okay," I thought to myself. "Don't panic."

bunbury
Post  Post subject: Re: The alien who loved me  |  Posted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:33 pm
Original Member
Original Member

But there were no towels, and then another human contestant walked on stage, a winsome female. We are impartial, I said to myself, but damn, I'd like a human to win...if only she would read us one of her own compositions rather than that machine-generated-Vogon-style-pseudo-crap (for I had finally seen it for what it was, the narcotic having worn off) I would press my button for her...

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: The alien who loved me  |  Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:33 am
Original Member
Original Member

I realized how fickle I was, and how long it had been since I'd experienced the touch of a female. It was less than an hour ago that I was lusting after Savannah, and now I'm here having a Pavlovian response to this random stranger in an alien world. I began to wonder if any of it really mattered, anyway. We could very well be stuck here until the end of our lives.

bunbury
Post  Post subject: Re: The alien who loved me  |  Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:11 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Then I realized Bob was still holding my hand.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: The alien who loved me  |  Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:07 pm
Original Member
Original Member

I glanced sideways at him and he appeared dazed, glistening in a light film of sweat, and pale.

bunbury
Post  Post subject: Re: The alien who loved me  |  Posted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:30 am
Original Member
Original Member

Those bugs that bit him, I thought, and looked around for Savannah - where was she anyway? Whatever we do, we must not get separated from Savannah and that backpack that could transport us away from here, and that I had noticed also contained some Aleve tablets, band aids in several shapes and sizes, a snake bite kit and a bottle of Ex-Lax. I wondered which of these remedies Bob might respond to.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: The alien who loved me  |  Posted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:16 pm
Original Member
Original Member

As serious as this situation is, I am a bit embarrassed to admit to the prepubescent chuckle I had at thinking of Bob eating the Ex-Lax, but alas... Good humor and spirits save more lives than a sense of dread and impossibility. Right then, Bob yelled out, "I've got it!! Hershey squirts! That's what we need!"

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: The alien who loved me  |  Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:24 am
Original Member
Original Member

"Bob, you're going to have to elaborate on that one, buddy. What do you mean?" I asked. Bob clarified that he meant Hershey kisses. It seems he and his brothers used to call the drop-shaped chocolate treats "squirts" when they were kids. "We need to entice these folks with something like chocolates to get them to support us and assist us in getting Savannah's bag back," he expounded.

bunbury
Post  Post subject: Re: The alien who loved me  |  Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:00 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Somehow I managed not to squirt, but it would be only a matter time. Then,suddenly, with buttocks clenched I noticed Savannah shuffling up to the microphone on stage.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: The alien who loved me  |  Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:28 pm
Original Member
Original Member

At that moment, time itself seemed to stop. What would she share with this vicious crowd? Could she make the cut? Would she be good enough to avoid the certain consequences of failure? My mind raced, then suddenly sparkles filled the sky as little aluminum foil covered chocolates launched from Bob's hand toward the other voters. "There are more where that came from if you vote for this one who just came up on the stage, folks!" he hollered.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: The alien who loved me  |  Posted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:28 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Roll-up #4: topic1131-100.html#p14590
Roll-up #5: topic1131-130.html#p15056

Quote:
Someone had been giving him bad information, from now on he decided he must tread carefully, but before he could collect his thoughts they were hustled into a gigantic amphitheater - the very one from which the beam of light had come - and seated in three chairs facing an elevated stage, while uncomfortably close behind them was a loud and unruly audience. In front of each chair was a large red button.

Roll-up #6:

There is something primal about the large red button. It's an urge nearly as strong as the drive to eat or have sex or pierce bubble wrap... the urge to press the big red button.

"Holy crap, Bob! Buttons! Do you know what this means? It's the opportunity we've been looking for. It's our chance to wield unimaginable power over these contestants; to elevate their hopes and dreams to the chance of fame and fortune, or to dash their aspirations to smithereens by the push of a button. We have immense power. We must use it responsibly.

This however is not what they would do, as a maniacal sense of omnipotence by to slowly cloud their minds, it was if for them time had slowed down, they were intoxicated by their newly exalted positions. They began to push the button with no thought or regard for consequences, but even as they were together pressing the button their thoughts coalesced into clarity and sense of regret set in, stricken by a terrible sense of guilt they pondered on what had happened and why, this wasn't them. Little were they to know it at the time but they had been for a few brief moments drugged with a powerful narcotic gas.

Perhaps that could explain why the feeling that none of this was real kept recurring in my mind. It was definitely surreal, that was never in question, but I was struggling to convince myself this was all really happening. I thought about asking Bob if he was having similar feelings, and right then before I got the chance, more contestants were brought before us and we both had a serious decision to make. Bob looked at me and I looked at him, we were both thinking the same thing, we needed to get out of here and fast. Bob took my hand and pulled me along, he was trying to say something but my senses had yet to fully return and I did not hear. I looked back just in time to see everything start to disintegrate, it had been a holographic projection all along, but one so real and detailed.

What was going on on the stage though? A human contestant had just been booed off and pelted with some rotten fruit and now an Aserian stepped up to the microphone and began his or her recitation of a poem; one so gorgeous in its subtle complexity and many layered meaningfulness that I remember it vividly to this day. Listening to this work of loveliness was an epiphany for me. This is how it went:

See, see the old sky
Marvel at its big mauve depths.
Tell me, Ravi do you
Wonder why the aardvark ignores you?
Why its foobly stare
makes you feel flatulent.
I can tell you, it is
Worried by your argloms facial growth
That looks like
A mold.
What's more, it knows
Your virtual potting shed
Smells of peas.
Everything under the big old sky
Asks why, why do you even bother?
You only charm asafetida.

It was work reminiscent of the Vogon poetry dreamt up by the late Douglas Adams, there was no denying it. I had a sudden and massive urge to go grab a towel. "Okay," I thought to myself. "Don't panic." But there were no towels, and then another human contestant walked on stage, a winsome female. We are impartial, I said to myself, but damn, I'd like a human to win...if only she would read us one of her own compositions rather than that machine-generated-Vogon-style-pseudo-crap (for I had finally seen it for what it was, the narcotic having worn off) I would press my button for her.

I realized how fickle I was, and how long it had been since I'd experienced the touch of a female. It was less than an hour ago that I was lusting after Savannah, and now I'm here having a Pavlovian response to this random stranger in an alien world. I began to wonder if any of it really mattered, anyway. We could very well be stuck here until the end of our lives.

Then I realized Bob was still holding my hand. I glanced sideways at him and he appeared dazed, glistening in a light film of sweat, and pale. Those bugs that bit him, I thought, and looked around for Savannah - where was she anyway? Whatever we do, we must not get separated from Savannah and that backpack that could transport us away from here, and that I had noticed also contained some Aleve tablets, band aids in several shapes and sizes, a snake bite kit and a bottle of Ex-Lax. I wondered which of these remedies Bob might respond to.

As serious as this situation is, I am a bit embarrassed to admit to the prepubescent chuckle I had at thinking of Bob eating the Ex-Lax, but alas... Good humor and spirits save more lives than a sense of dread and impossibility. Right then, Bob yelled out, "I've got it!! Hershey squirts! That's what we need!" I certainly needed to squirt, but there was nothing Hershey about it. What we really needed was a miracle, but I kept that perception to myself.

"Bob, you're going to have to elaborate on that one, buddy. What do you mean?" I asked. Bob clarified that he meant Hershey kisses. It seems he and his brothers used to call the drop-shaped chocolate treats "squirts" when they were kids. "We need to entice these folks with something like chocolates to get them to support us and assist us in getting Savannah's bag back," he expounded. Somehow I managed not to squirt, but it would be only a matter time. Then,suddenly, with buttocks clenched I noticed Savannah shuffling up to the microphone on stage.

At that moment, time itself seemed to stop. What would she share with this vicious crowd? Could she make the cut? Would she be good enough to avoid the certain consequences of failure? My mind raced, then suddenly sparkles filled the sky as little aluminum foil covered chocolates launched from Bob's hand toward the other voters. "There are more where that came from if you vote for this one who just came up on the stage, folks!" he hollered.