FAQ
It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:37 pm

iNow
Post  Post subject: Site Usage Questions and Ideas  |  Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:23 am
Original Member
Original Member

Hello Everyone,

Let's use this thread to capture and address any questions about the site, it's functionality, or other similar thoughts.

Here's one:

Can we setup the site such that the below appears at the top of every forum / subforum page, and not just on the board index?

Quote:
View unanswered posts • View unread posts • View new posts • View active topics • Mark forums read

I think that would make navigation a little simpler.

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

DrRocket
Post  Post subject: Re: Site Usage Questions and Ideas  |  Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:45 am
Original Member
Original Member

This site is a great idea. However it badly needa LaTex capability.

Without LaTex Physics is hobbled and Mathematics is DOA.

SkinWalker
Post  Post subject: Re: Site Usage Questions and Ideas  |  Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:27 am
Original Member
Original Member

LaTex might be a problem for now. Although, I might be able to talk the host into installing it.

They seem open to this sort of thing.

DrRocket
Post  Post subject: Re: Site Usage Questions and Ideas  |  Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:30 pm
Original Member
Original Member

SkinWalker wrote:
LaTex might be a problem for now. Although, I might be able to talk the host into installing it.

They seem open to this sort of thing.

Without it you may as well forget about any significant mathematics discussions. Even elementary algebra needs the ability to show roots and exponents. Physics will be limited to trivial high school stuff (not even AP physics) without integrals or derivatives, and what can be cobbled together is so difficult to read that it is not worth the trouble.

This really important for a serious science board..

Nikelodeon
Post  Post subject: Re: Site Usage Questions and Ideas  |  Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:14 pm
Original Member
Original Member

This site needs more trolls.

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: Site Usage Questions and Ideas  |  Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:16 pm

Nikelodeon wrote:
This site needs more trolls.

well, we have to start small - you'll do as a sacrificial lamb

Guitarist
Post  Post subject: Re: Site Usage Questions and Ideas  |  Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:05 pm

DrRocket wrote:
Without it {i.e LaTex}you may as well forget about any significant mathematics discussions. Even elementary algebra needs the ability to show roots and exponents. Physics will be limited to trivial high school stuff ...........

........This really important for a serious science board..
Agreed.

But, as a possible interim measure, before (In)Sanity installed Latex on the dot com TSF, I and river_rat between us made a list if HTML tags that seem to work, but only for Windows (which I refuse to use). They are at best extremely tedious to use, and at worst extremely ugly.

Lemme see if I can dig them out and test here

Which raises an interesting point. SW says that when the dot com board was sold, the forum database was included as a part of the package. How does that affect we, the posters with (presumably) intellectual property rights over our posts there? Are we in some sort of breach by lifting one of our old posts from dot com and importing it here?

Not that I care over much for rules and the like, but it would interest me to know

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: Site Usage Questions and Ideas  |  Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:12 pm

Guitarist wrote:
Which raises an interesting point. SW says that when the dot com board was sold, the forum database was included as a part of the package. How does that affect we, the posters with (presumably) intellectual property rights over our posts there? Are we in some sort of breach by lifting one of our old posts from dot com and importing it here?

Not that I care over much for rules and the like, but it would interest me to know

i'm not sure if older posts are still available - i tried to dig into some the older "aquatic ape" threads, and got the message

"Access to the web page was denied
You are not authorised to access the web page at http://www.thescienceforum.com/Aquatic- ... 28828t.php. You may need to sign in.
HTTP Error 403 (Forbidden): The server refused to fulfill the request."

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Site Usage Questions and Ideas  |  Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:26 pm
Original Member
Original Member

MOD NOTE: The posts discussing the errors caused by the server migration have been moved to the Server Migration thread: http://thescienceforum.org/topic30.html?sid=4958588372b0e295205f15dbcbbdab85

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

Azriel
Post  Post subject: Re: Site Usage Questions and Ideas  |  Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:36 pm
Original Member
Original Member

any update on how the integration of TeX is going?

SkinWalker
Post  Post subject: Re: Site Usage Questions and Ideas  |  Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:54 pm
Original Member
Original Member

It's installed!

You might have missed the global announcement, but when you're posting you should notice a "latex" button available along the top of the message-draft box just to the left of "Font colour."

Robittybob1
Post  Post subject: Re: Site Usage Questions and Ideas  |  Posted: Fri May 27, 2016 10:42 pm

How do you make a reference to a previous post? I have made two attempts and neither have worked.
End up with a link the new post that takes you to the prior post referred to.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Site Usage Questions and Ideas  |  Posted: Fri May 27, 2016 11:00 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Each individual post has a subject line with an embedded URL. That's what you're seeking.

Robittybob1
Post  Post subject: Re: Site Usage Questions and Ideas  |  Posted: Fri May 27, 2016 11:54 pm

iNow wrote:
Each individual post has a subject line with an embedded URL. That's what you're seeking.

Thanks i'll test it out
This is the "quote button from the Topic review - Site Usage Questions and Ideas below. posting.php?mode=quote&f=43&p=22293#

This the subject line: topic10-10.html#p22293

Top one is good too.